CHAPTER SIXTEEN: WALK HOME AGAIN

Pixie Hollow was a buzz with preparations for the farewell. Fairies zipping here and there to get things just right for Gruff the hero of Pixie Hollow.

Fawn was spending as much time with Gruff as she could. But they could not do much as Gruff seemed really sleepy. Eventually, Fawn settled on resting with Gruff on the cliffs. Fawn told Gruff about all the other adventures she had with Tinkerbell and the rest of them. Gruff seemed to especially like the pirate adventure one.

It was almost nightfall and everything was ready. They started making their way to the caves with Gruff in tow. Fawn's heart got heavy and she clung to Gruff trying not to cry. She wanted Gruff to stay with them forever but knew that it was better for him this way. Some things are the way they are because there's a reason behind it. The natural order of the world. You could try and change a situation but would that be the best for the other person?

Nyx followed with the crowd. She was still on guard, scoping the surroundings and checking in with the guards like clockwork. She was contemplating if she should still be here and wondered if it was too late to turn back. That's when Rosetta spotted her in the crowd.

"I'm glad you could make it sugar. I heard about the trip to the infirmary. Are you alright?" Rosetta asked.

"I'm better now, thank you" Nyx felt even more out of place. She didn't know how to respond to someone asking after her

"Well I'm glad you could make it. Gruff would be so happy to see you" Rosetta said to a surprised Nyx.

"He has taken quite the liking to you" Rosetta finally added before she was waved over by Silvermist.

Nyx was in doubt of what she heard. By then Pearl took her side and gave her the quick update for the security detail for Gruff. Everything was well and good, except for her nerves. She took a deep breath and continued with the others.

They had finally arrived at the caves. Fawn was a little taken aback by how the cave looked. She remembered it being cold, dark and with sharp edges everywhere. But now the cave looked well lit with a tiny spring waterfall for Gruff to drink out of. And there was even a fluffy pillow for Gruff that almost looked like a cloud. And the ground was covered with straw.

"Anyone who sleeps for a thousand years deserves a decent bed" Tinkerbell said to Gruff as they entered.

"And a fluffy pillow" Rosetta said with a heavy heart. Gruff nuzzled the pillow with appreciation. Having slept for so long on the cold hard floor was something he would not miss. "Make that a Gruffy pillow" Rosetta said with a smile.

"A spring filled water bowl that never runs dry" Slivermist added. 

"A night light so you never have to be scared" Iridessa said and bowed her head with sadness. Slivermist gave a side hug to make sure she was okay. Gruff took a taste of the water from the bowl to show his appreciation. The water was nice and cool.

"A little fresh air to keep you cool" Vidia said as a tear escaped her left eye.

Everyone was saying their goodbyes and now it was just Nyx and Fawn who were left. Gruff could no longer keep standing so he settled into the comfy bed. Nyx decided to get the farewell over with. She approached Gruff with her hands behind her back. She was unsure how Gruff would react towards her.

"And the enduring respect of a grateful Scout" Nyx said with sincere appreciation. If it hadn't been for Gruff, all of Pixie Hollow would have been destroyed. And Nyx, as a scout would have failed at her job. She had nearly put everyone's life at risk and she almost lost everyone. All the thoughts started running in her head. 

Nyx bowed to Gruff to show her respect for this creature that only existed to save Pixie Hollow. Gruff sensed Nyx's uneasiness and nuzzled Nyx. She was taken by surprise. She kissed Gruff on the nose with tears in her eyes. 

This was the first time any of the fairies had seen Nyx show her soft side. Nyx left Gruff to make way for Fawn to say her goodbyes.  With that Nyx made her way out of the caves and made sure all the fairies and Queen Clarion returned safely to Pixie Hollow.

Nyx returned a while later to ensure the area around the caves was secure. It was the least she could have done for the newest member of Pixie Hollow. She had sent Pearl and Fury back to headquarters to make the final checks for the night. Faye, Myka and Nilsa had the night off and had probably gone to get a few drinks.

Nyx wondered if she should get some rest because her head was still in splits. She looked up at the stars and sighed. She decided to start walking home. Although she had more than enough pixie dust to make the trip to back she wanted some time to think. There was still a nagging at the back of her head. Something felt out of place. Maybe a walk would help her clear her head. She started down the path back to Pixie Hollow.

As she was walking back, she saw Fawn. Seeing Fawn made Nyx stop dead in her tracks. Fawn was walking a few feet ahead of Nyx and seemed to be preoccupied. Nyx wondered if she should alert her of her presence, and she also wanted to apologize for everything that happened with Gruff. She stood there as Fawn walked on. Time seemed to tick with every step Fawn took and just like that she had walked away.