CHAPTER THREE : THE WAIT

The next day was like any other. Fawn went to work bright and early. But the only difference was, she could not focus on anything. Her mind was running with thoughts of seeing Nyx the next day.

"Can it be tomorrow already" Fawn muttered as she was teaching the baby birds how to fly.

The birds looked at her questionly. They seemed a little on edge because of Fawn.

"Hey Fawn, are you alright" one of the other animal fairies asked her.

"Yeah, why?" Fawn asked confused.

"You seem a little preoccupied...and you're muttering to yourself" the fairy said with a smile hoping not to offend Fawn.

"Oh yes. Yes. Just a little anxious" Fawn replied.

"Deep breaths Fawn. What's got you so worked up?" the fairy asked.

"Uh I asked someone out on a date. Tomorrow" Fawn replied trying to focus on her breathing.

"I see. Would that be a certain scout fairy perhaps?" the fairy said playfully.

"yea..h...yes. How did you..." Fawn said all flustered.

"You two seemed at different ends of the table in the beginning. I always thought there was something more there" the fairy replied with a wink.

"You've dated before right, Dani? How do I do this?" Fawn covered her face with her hands and let out a tiny cry.

"Just have fun. Enjoy your time together, Fawn. You'll be fine" Dani patted Fawn's shoulder.

The birds nodded and chirped in agreement. Fawn laughed.

"Thanks guys. Now lets get those wings flapping" Fawn took flight and nodded a sign of thanks to Dani.

The rest of the day went by pretty uneventful. No runaway carts or flying boulders. Fawn made her way home.

*******

Nyx just returned from scout duty. The day had been long and she was exhausted. She was bummed that she didn't get to see Fawn. But that was good in a way. It meant that Fawn was staying out of trouble. Nyx smiled to herself. That's when another scout fairy walked in and saw Nyx smiling.

"Are you alright?" The fairy asked.

Nyx was completely lost in her thoughts that she didn't hear her enter. She looked sternly at the fairy that had walked in. All emotion had left her face. She nodded once and walked towards the table.

She was studying the map on the table. She waited for the other scout fairies to come back from their duties as it was time for a shift change. When all of them arrived. Nyx went over the duties for the next day. She gave everyone their assignments.

"Is that clear?" Nyx addressed the group.

"Yes" they all said together.

"Good. I'll be taking the day off tomorrow" Nyx announced to the group as she walked out.

Everyone was surprised. They all just looked at each other.