Chapter 20: The Forest Preserve (Todomatsu v Ichimatsu)

'So, then...where are you going first, (y/n)?'

"I'm heading to the forest preserve. It's the closest location to me," I slid through the open window, taking in a breath as I looked around for an easy way down. The old cast iron water pipe near my window didn't look like it went all the way to the alleyway, so I tried to find an alternative, my eyes settling on the fire escape ladder a few windows over. It was an old set up, where the extended ladder required weight to lower to the ground, which meant that I'd have to get over there on my own.

Praying that the curtains were closed in the other rooms, I maneuvered my way over from ledge to ledge, tiptoeing where I could as I pressed myself against the warm brick of the building. It was quite a ways down, and I didn't have any special abilities or training to fall from this height safely.

Catching myself a few times, I took in a deep breath as I reached out my left hand, the tips of my fingers barely brushing the ladder. There wasn't a good place for me to get a secure handhold, and I wasn't about to jump onto the rusted cage around the ladder. Quickly looking over my options, I swallowed hard as there wasn't any easy way onto the ladder without going down from the top. Without climbing gear or admitting defeat by going back to my room, I chewed on my bottom lip before settling on hopping the short distance to the cage. If it was stable enough, it could hold me as I pushed the ladder down through the gaps between the bars.

With a hope and a prayer, I stretched out towards the cage before letting go of my grip on the building, feeling myself freefall for a moment before harsh metal brushed against my outstretched hand. Gripping it tightly, I caught onto the metal cage and found as many footholds and handholds as I possibly could, pressing myself against it and taking in deep breaths.

The cage rattled a little with the sudden additional weight on it as I reached through the large gaps, pressing down on the ladder rungs and shouting for joy internally when the ladder extended easily. Keeping my hand on the ladder, I pushed it down further and further until the feet hit concrete, the sound echoing through the alleyway and reverberating through my arm.

Switching off my hands on the ladder, I inched my way down the cage until my feet dangled below it, the toes of my shoes hitting the closest rung. Shifting my weight down further, I maneuvered myself with my hands until I was fully on the fire escape ladder, climbing down as quickly (and safely) as I could.

I didn't know how much time I had wasted just to get down to the ground from my room.

The forest preserve...probably near the picnic field or archery range...

From what I remembered as a kid, there was a dedicated stretch of land for those that wanted to bring picnics for their families, spotted with overhangs and benched tables. The tables were probably removed from the field for the nightlife to roam safely, but I couldn't know for sure until I got there. The archery range was large, but littered with lost arrows that were never cleaned up by the staff. Either place was good for an all-out brawl between two people.

I ran out of the alleyway and towards the forest preserve, observing the signs directing traffic to it. It wasn't too far of a jog before I saw the main entrance sign, chained off to prevent cars from entering afterhours. Holding a breath, I vaulted over the chain barrier and continued through, ducking into the path leading towards the picnic area. Waving off occasional spiderwebs and losing the light from the vanishing sunset, I couldn't hear any odd noises in front of me and exited the path to see a completely vacant stretch of land.

No signs of fighting.

I caught my breath as I looked around the area to reconfirm that no one was there. The tables were put away like I thought they would've been, leaving the field wide open. Not even a scorch mark was present.