Chapter 4

The sleep that I had that night was the most peaceful I've had in a long time, despite not being in my own bed. It felt like I was laying on the softest clouds in the sky, instead of the semi-firm twin bed in the shelter.

After finishing my simple breakfast of cereal and an apple, I dressed up and informed the receptionist of how long I'd be out, making sure to give myself an extra hour or so just in case something happened that I didn't expect. I wore the same pants as yesterday, thankfully dry from the unexpected soak it had from the rain, but I chose to wear the other new shirt that I was able to find in my size.

It was a long-sleeved shirt, gray in color with a spattering of sparkles on the front in a random pattern. I was definitely overdressing for whatever position I was applying for at the café, but I couldn't help it. My hand pressed against my stomach and a frown crossed my face.

I still needed to take a pregnancy test...

"Fancy seeing you here, (y/n)," A male voice cut off my thoughts as I looked around to try and figure out who was talking to me. I hadn't realized that I had walked to the small park from the previous day, the scenery startling me a little bit. I felt someone's presence to my left, and looked over to see Osomatsu in his priest garb sitting on a bench with a book in his hands.

"Father Osomatsu," I nodded in his direction, "Good morning."

"Good morning to you," He returned the nod before closing the book, focusing on me, "How did the rest of your day go yesterday?"

"Oh...it went well enough. I was told of a place that is looking to hire, so I'll be checking that out today," I glanced away, "Though...I'm not sure where it is. Your brother told me about it."

"Oh? Where did Choromatsu or Todomatsu suggest?" Osomatsu raised an eyebrow.

"Actually, it wasn't either of them. It was Karamatsu," A shiver shot down my spine as I watched Osomatsu's face fall into a look that could only be described as hatred for a split second before recovering into interest, "Father...?"

"No, it's all right. I hadn't heard his name in a while...and I wasn't expecting him to be so close," He raised a hand to his chin, his eyebrows furrowed in thought, "I guess I should go and pay him a visit. Did he tell you where you could find him?"

"No, he only took me to a local café during the downpour yesterday. I didn't want to pry much into his personal life when we had only just met," I shook my head before pointing towards the entrance to the park, "I was going to ask around to see if I could find the cat café he suggested."

"Well, I remember one opening up downtown within the past year. It's received some pretty mixed reviews about the service, but the food and adoption center they have are consistently rated high," Osomatsu stood up and tucked the book underneath his arm, "It's not too far of a walk, and I still have time left on my break. I don't mind escorting you there."

"No, Father Osomatsu, it's all right. I can just have--" I started to shake my head before he put a hand on my shoulder, turning me around and guiding me out of the park.

"It's all right, (y/n)...Call it a needless worry, but I do want to make sure that you're safe," The tone of his voice dipped into sadness.

"Father...?"

"When we had heard of what happened to you when you went to that foster home, my brothers and I were angry and worried for you," He talked in a low volume, but I could still hear every word he said, "You are like a sister to us, and any sibling would have gotten upset at what happened."

I lowered my head, trying to silence the echoes in my head of a male yelling at someone, a woman screaming back at him in retaliation. I had hoped that they would've never found out...