Chapter 20: The National Park (Osomatsu v Jyushimatsu)

'So, then...where are you going first, (y/n)?'

"The national park," I swung a leg out the window, finding purchase on a thin ledge underneath my window before switching my grip and allowing myself to hang from the windowsill. With both feet firmly planted on the ledge, I inched my way over until I couldn't hold onto the windowsill anymore, reaching out to one of the thick water pipes next to my room. Holding my breath as my weight shifted over the meter-wide gap, I clung to the water pipe for dear life, slowly moving my footing over to the cast iron piping joint.

Just a few more meters and I'd be on the ground.

Looking down every few steps, I realized that the pipe didn't lead all the way down to the ground like I originally thought, veering off at a sharp angle back into the building. I'd have to jump down from a meter-and-a-half off of the ground.

Biting the inside of my cheek, I worked my way to hanging off the crook of the pipe with my hands, feeling my feet dangling in the air.

This landing was going to hurt.

Letting my hands relax, I slipped off the pipe and fell to the ground, hitting the ground with both of my feet. The sting from my unprepared feet rocketed up to my hips, the nerves crying out in pain as I fell towards the concrete, my instinct to cushion myself falling just as flat as my body. I breathed in sharply between my teeth as I pushed myself off of the ground, quickly checking to see if I damaged anything and sighing a little as nothing immediately presented itself.

'Get up and go!'

The national park was on the other side of town, almost a twenty-minute run from the shelter, and I don't think I had a lot of time left on my hands. Hopping up and tucking my right leg under me, I took off from a runner's starting position and headed towards the national park, praying that my stamina held up.

----

I nearly collapsed as I vaulted over the simple barrier arm, stumbling to catch my footing as my lungs worked overtime. I had made it to the park, but now I had to see where they were.

If I remembered the layout of the park correctly, then the biggest open space that was away from street viewing was in the middle, surrounded by picnic areas and thick trees that provided shelter in the harsh daylight. Pushing myself a little further, I started to hear yells in the darkness that were accompanied by occasional flashes of light. Panic sent my body into overdrive, pushing me through the lazy hills and into a flattened plain, running through a thick treeline to see two figures on opposing sides of the field.

I couldn't tell who was who in the darkness, shoving my shirt to my mouth to try and quiet my wheezing and panting as I leaned forward to keep myself up with one arm on my leg.

"You've become quite the thorn in my side, Azrael! It's a shame that you won't get much praise in Heaven for fighting me," I heard a growling voice laugh out, the sound coming from the figure to my left. I remembered the voice from the dream with Karamatsu and Ichimatsu, instantly labeling it as Satan. There was no trace of Osomatsu's voice left.

The other figure remained quiet, standing still.

"No retort?" Satan sounded slightly disappointed, tearing something off and casting it aside while something whirled through the air. Metal clinked together and the figure shifted position, holding some kind of spear, "I brought out my favorite toy for you to play with, and you have nothing to say about it?"

"You're wasting both of our time," The other figure spoke, sounding male and female at the same time, "Stop this charade."

"'Charade'?" Satan lowered the spear a little, "We haven't even started playing, and you're calling this a 'charade'?"