Chapter 17

I shook my head to clear my thoughts, setting down the cat food after the café closed, trying to push aside the memory of the woman that I had seen last night sitting next to the smiling man with the same face as Osomatsu. The more I tried to ignore it, the clearer his image became, as if to taunt me with his wide smile.

"...watch yourself..."

A strong grip yanked my right wrist above my head, the majority of my weight held aloft by whoever was holding it. It took a few seconds for me to realize that I had slipped and nearly hit my head on one of the counters in the kitchen, looking up my arm to see a male hand wrapped around my wrist. The pressed purple sleeve gave away who it was instantly before I met his hooded gaze, a frown forever pressing the corners of his lips down.

"Sorry..." I tucked my feet back under me and stood back up without assistance, feeling the pressure from my wrist tighten a little before Ichimatsu released his grip. A silent question was held in his stare, but I looked away before I could acknowledge it.

"You were distracted," He didn't move from where he was, tucking his hands into his pockets while watching me carefully as I straightened myself out.

"I need to ask you a question, Ichimatsu," I swallowed my nervousness and turned to face him, seeing the same neutral face as before. He slightly narrowed his eyes in reply, and I took a slow breath in, "What happened between you, Karamatsu, and Osomatsu?"

"You don't need to know that," His expression didn't even shift.

"I know what you are, as well as your other brothers," I lowered my voice, "I know that Osomatsu did something to anger you and Karamatsu. I just want to know what it was. Was it killing my foster father?"

If I struck a nerve, Ichimatsu didn't show it. The silence lasted for a few seconds before he took a breath.

"My office, five minutes."

Uh-oh.

He walked out of the kitchen, maintaining eye contact until he passed the door. I felt my mouth dry instantly in worry.

Had I taken this a step too far? Should I not have mentioned anything at all?

The smiling man wearing Osomatsu's face resurfaced in my head, the grin twisting into an ugly sneer. I covered my eyes with both of my hands and pushed in slightly, causing colored static to dance in my head. After a few seconds, I released the pressure and took in a breath, turning back to the last bit of my job duties and powering through them.

The smiling man no longer appeared in my head.

----

I sat on the couch while Ichimatsu and Karamatsu sat on folding chairs in front of me. Karamatsu had somehow come in without detection, despite the front door being locked and no one came through the back door while I was finishing my chores. If he really was an angel, then I wasn't going to question how he did it. They both had a serious expression on their face, but didn't move to speak.

I felt like I had to break the ice, essentially.

"I want to know what happened between you two and Osomatsu," I looked between the two men, holding their gaze as I did.

"You mean to say that you want to know about the incident," Karamatsu crossed his right leg over his left.

I only nodded. The air in the room seemed to grow heavy, pressing down on me like a weighted blanket. Seconds felt like minutes underneath the brothers' weighted gaze.