Chapter 13

The cathedral was packed.

My hands clenched the skirt of the borrowed dress I was wearing tightly, a sudden unease sweeping over me as I caught glances that looked at me strangely.

I had to remind myself that while the brothers knew who I was, the congregation did not and people tended to be suspicious of anyone that was new. My anxiety kicked into overdrive as I voluntarily sat in the back row, in the furthest seat from the main aisle, tucking my hands under my knees and staring down at the kneeling cushion in front of me.

I could only hope that whoever sat next to me didn't mind me copying them when I didn't remember what to do.

The congregation slowly filtered in through the narthex and into the nave, where the pews were filled up. I could hear some conversations pick up where some women were asking others about how their children were doing, men asking other men about work, and children giggling amongst themselves.

An organ began playing before a woman started to sing towards the front of the sanctuary, a hush instantly washing over the congregation as those who were standing found a seat. Shortly after, Father Osomatsu and two other young men walked into the sanctuary from the narthex, each man wearing the garb associated with an altar server while Osomatsu was dressed in full priest vestments, including a green chasuble. The green and white colors didn't seem to belong on Osomatsu's body, as I was so used to seeing him wear the black and red cassock.

I could only watch in silence as they knelt in front of the altar before the two attendants walked towards one of the transepts, leaving Osomatsu to walk alone towards the chancel, a long marbled table with a pure white runner cloth covering the top.

After the song ended, Osomatsu greeted the congregation with a gentle voice, his annunciation clear and audible throughout the entire church. He started with the prayer I remembered hearing over and over as a child, responding softly when appropriate. He didn't show any signs of pain throughout his prayer, throwing out my doubt from yesterday that he was a demon.

I kept a close eye on Osomatsu as the Scriptures were read, not noticing any outward reaction other than a calm and peaceful look that he maintained throughout the Mass. With a quiet sigh, I mentally apologized to no one in particular before going with the flow: standing when everyone stood, kneeling when appropriate, and responding as others responded.

When the Eurcharist was being blessed by Osomatsu, I resigned to stay in my seat and not go up to the front. I knew how important the act was, but I wasn't prepared for it. As the row I was sitting in began to proceed to the front, I caught Osomatsu's eyes glancing at me before I looked down in embarrassment.

It wasn't a condemning look from him. Instead, he looked a little saddened before I turned away. If I knew my luck, then I'd be asked about why I didn't go up sometime later on.

After the Eucharist was given to those that wanted it, a moment of silence filled the cathedral as members of the congregation finished their individual prayers. Osomatsu gently started a blessing of the congregation, bringing the congregation's attention back to his words as he signed a cross in front of his body. The organ began to play and Osomatsu was flanked by the altar servers as he walked out of the sanctuary through the nave. The congregation was slow to disperse, but I stayed in my seat.

After a while, I found myself alone in the cathedral while some of the attendants began to put away some of the trays that were used during the communion. Standing up and patting down the borrowed dress, I ran a hand through my hair as I walked into the narthex.

"(Y/n)."

I flinched and shut my eyes, letting my hand drop as I slowly looked over towards Osomatsu. He simply stood there in full vestment, his hair combed neatly back and his dark eyes locked onto mine.