Chapter 14.

As we made our way downstairs, Sam appeared out of nowhere.

‘’Sapphire! Come down here, quickly!’’ He jumped up the stairs and grabbed me and Elise by the arm.

‘’What’s going on Sam?!’’ I yelled.

‘’Just shut up and follow me!’’

I sprinted down the stairs followed by Elise. I screamed as I reached the ground floor. Ellie was lying flat on her side, blood slowly flowing from a wound on her head. Sam grabbed my arm and steered me away from poor Ellie. Tears were rolling down Elise’s face as I turned around to see if she was still following. Suddenly, I heard a faint noise in the back of my head. I pressed my fingers to my temples, but it still wouldn’t go away. Before I knew what happened, Sam moved his hand and something fired from his palm. The buzzing noise stopped instantly, but he still pulled me along. I linked arms with Elise as we finally reached the big door leading to safety.

‘’Get in the car and lock all the doors. I’ll be back in 2 minutes!’’ Sam yelled through the noise.

I gasped, but Elise was the one to answer this time.

‘’What? You can’t go, Sam! Come with us! Now!’’

‘’But, what about...’’ He started, but I quickly slapped his arm to shut him up.

‘’Just come on Sam!’’

We raced over to the car and practically flew into it. The doors hadn’t even closed, but Sam had already put the car into gear and reversed like a professional stunt driver in one of those action movies. As the door drove off the driveway, the last thing I saw was the whole building go up in flames...