Chapter 9

‘Hey babe. Who’s he?’ Sam asked. He pushed Jared’s hand away from my arm and held my hand. I glanced up at him to see a faint smile form on his lips.

‘Hey honey.’ I said,

‘I was wondering where you were. This is Jared, an old friend of mine. Jared this is Sam, my...’

‘Boyfriend.’ Sam said, a little too loudly.

‘You’ve got a boyfriend? Since when do you date newcomers Sapphire? I thought you had better taste than that.’ Sam stepped forward and gently pushed me behind him.

‘Why don’t you just back off whilst you still can, because if you don’t, I might do something that I might regret.’ Jared backed off slightly and I felt as though I should contribute to the little debate.

‘Okay, okay, you caught me. We’re lying Jared.’ Sam turned to look at me and I saw the betrayal in his eyes mixed with a little bit of hurt. I felt terrible, but I had to say my word.

‘We aren’t boyfriend and girlfriend. We’re soul mates.’  Jared’s sly smile started to fade away and he turned his back on us and left.

‘Man, don’t do that to me!’ Sam sighed. ‘You almost gave me a heart attack over there! I thought you were going to rat me out or something.’

‘Of course not! You know, that just made my day.’

‘What? You mean giving me a heart attack?’

‘No silly, rubbing Jared’s ugly face in it. You were really sweet out there, standing up for me like that.’ I thought Sam would have let go of my hand by now as the enemy was out of sight, but he didn’t.

‘Do you want me to let go?’ He asked. I shrieked. He just read my mind again!

‘Hey, don’t stress about it. I’m sorry. I use my gifts without thinking. I’m really sorry.’

‘No, no...’ I stuttered. µ

‘Don’t be. At least you have your gifts already. I don’t even know what mine are yet.’

‘Well, let’s go find out then, shall we?’ Sam said. Right then, I was so confused. That boy was definitely something special.