Chapter 8

I strolled down the corridor and stopped to a halt just before room 17. ‘Here’s your room then, Sam.’ I said. I unlocked the door and it slowly creaked open. ‘How old is this place anyway? 1000 years or something?’ Sam smugly said.

I wasn’t going to give him the victory of being full of himself so I said, ‘It’s the same age as your shoes are, so to answer your question, the school is very old indeed.’ Sam was silent and followed me into his new room. ‘So, here’s the key, make yourself at home, and call me if you need anything.’ I said and walked out of his bedsit. To my surprise, the boy touched my arm and said, ‘Thanks Sapphire. That is your name, isn’t it? I think we’ll become good friends.’

I glanced at him and gave a shy smile. Yeah right! ‘See you around, Sam.’ I closed the door and started to think about how he knew my name. Then I realised, he must have his gifts already. He can read minds.

I trotted down the stairs to find Electra frantically waving her arms about above her head and beckoning me to follow her, so I ran back with her into the kitchen where things had gone drastically wrong. The oven door was wide open and there was gloopy dough all over the walls and ceiling. ‘What happened here?!’ I shrieked.

Then I saw that Mister Windsor was also covered up in gloop and Kate was cussing about what a mess he was in. ‘Let’s promise never to let Kate in a kitchen again.’ Marisol replied. Elise moved swiftly towards me and spoke. ‘Trust me Sapphire; you don’t want to know what happened in here. All you need to know is that Kate and William will never work out.’ ‘Well yeah, he’s already married to a different Kate, or do you never listen in media?’ I murmured.

‘Hahaha... Trust you to state the obvious. I meant Mister Windsor and Kate. She tried to bake him a cake by use of magic, but as you can see, it failed miserably.’ ‘Oh.’ I replied.

William started shouting to everyone about how horrible his new suit looked now due to the sticky dough, so as to not get involved, I quickly walked out of the kitchen to bump straight into Jared Longley. ‘Hey! Watch where you’re going you...’ he stopped when he realised that it was me who had ran into him.

Jared used to be one of my closest friends until he started to bully Marisol. He used to love to play with us when we were 5 years old, but now he acts as though he doesn’t know that we even exist. ‘Hi Jared. Long time no see, huh?’ I said, feeling my stomach churning due to this awkward encounter. The last time I spoke to Jared was at the beauty pageant last year.

Amelie wanted to watch her Mom, Lindsey, as she ran the whole event. Lindsey hadn’t seen Amelie for 6 years as she had to give her up to protect her from the Dark Forces and so when they finally could meet again, Amelie swore that she would do anything to stay with her Mom until the very end, and so, I ended up having another bad conversation with Jared. He told me that he loved me, but I was too afraid of the risks of losing another person and what my friends would think of me hanging around with the enemy.

Jared was staring at me so I turned to walk away, but he grabbed my arm and spoke. ‘I’ve missed you BrightEyes. It’s been too long, you know.’ I was shocked to hear him call me BrightEyes. It was my nickname when I was younger, but no one had called me that name since my early childhood days.

‘Don’t call me that.’ I said, now growing angry due to his constant staring. ‘What’s wrong Sapphire?’ he whispered. ‘Have you missed me too much?’ Jared was interrupted by a deep voice from behind me.

Sam.