Chapter 11

The silence was killing me as Sam drove me back to school. I was nervous, scared, and most of all, I had no idea what the ghostly figure meant when it said those things. I couldn’t help myself but think of the possibilities. Could Sam be my downfall? Before I knew what I was doing, I spoke. ‘There was a figure in my vision. It said that someone I knew would be my downfall. Who do you think it could be?’

Sam looked confused. ‘Well, I don’t know Sapphire. Maybe it’s one of your friends?’

‘What? My friends would never do anything like that to me!’ I could feel the anger burning inside of me.

‘Hey! It was just a suggestion! So I guess you think it’s me?’

I had forgotten all about the fact the fact that he could read minds. Instead of lying, I told him the truth.

‘Yes, I think it is you. I mean, why would you want to hang round with me anyway unless you wanted something?’

‘Is that what you think of me? That I’m a fraud? Thanks.’

‘Maybe you are! Guys like you never hang around with girls like me! I bet that if your dad hadn’t made you dump Chelsea that you even wouldn’t have looked twice at me! You know what? Stop the car!’

He did as I said. I opened the door, stomped out, and ran away into the woods. I heard footsteps behind me, but I wasn’t going to stop running. I was crying now and I heard Sam call out my name, but I was too upset to listen.

The next thing I knew, I was pinned down on the floor with something heavy hanging over me. I thought it was Sam, but sharp teeth were tearing at my arm. I opened my eyes and saw a massive dog hovering over me with its teeth bared. I cried out in pain as the dog took another huge bite out of my arm.

‘Sam!’ I cried, but my voice was fading away.

I was going to die, I was suer of it...

I woke up on the forest floor. The sunlight was shining in my eye as I moved myself away from where I was laying down. I glanced over to my right and saw a dark figure spread out, dead. I crawled over to the body and cringed. It was the dog. I found the energy to stand up and wobbled over to the lake.

‘Are you okay?’

I turned to see Sam standing behind me. He had got blood running down from his shirt.

‘Oh my god! You’re bleeding!’ I cried out.

‘Look in the mirror.’ He grimly replied.

I remembered our argument and a sudden feeling of guilt rushed over me. ‘Look Sam, I’m really sorry. I never meant all those things I said. It’s just... It’s the first time a guy has actually ever shown any sort of interest in me.’

‘I’m the one who should be apologizing.’ He took my hand as he said this. ‘I’m sorry. Can you ever forgive me?’

I hugged him tightly. ‘Come on, let’s get you home.’ ‘Yeah, I think I’ve had enough adventure for one day.’

Sam grinned at me. ‘Same here Sapph. Same here...’