Chapter Twenty-Seven: Poetic Bullcrap

You know those moments when you’re stuck at a compromising position and the only thing you can do is smile? Well, let’s just say that I’m experiencing that situation right now.

This was supposed to be a night that Axel had planned out to the finest point, but right now, instead of filling the table with chirpy chatters, we’re sitting across from one another, holding a pair of fork and knife as we struggled to go through with this dinner.

“Alright,” Axel sighed in defeat, placing down his utensils on the plate, “This is stupid.”

My mouth pressed into a thin line as I blinked at him, waiting for him to continue as I swallowed down the nerves. At least one of us acknowledged it out loud.

“We’re here in a candlelight dinner and you haven’t said anything except how fancy the place is,” he groaned, crossing his arms, “Tell me what the hell is wrong, Valentine, because right now, I feel like a fool.”

Looking down, I mumbled, “We’re both fools.”

Clearly, he heard it as when I looked back at him, he was biting his lip and his hand fisted the white tablecloth. I knew he was trying to stay calm, and I could feel my insides slowly sinking down. I’m so confused right now, I don’t even know what to do.

He should have given up when I warned him, and I should have said no right from the start, if we did those things, we wouldn’t be sitting here right now.

If he leaves now, I wouldn’t blame him. If he does anyways, it’s a signal that this is over; now I’ve realized that it was indeed possible to break something that wasn’t there in the first place.

“What do you want Valentine?” he questioned, shaking his head, “I think even if I give you the world, it still wouldn’t be enough for you.”

I’ve decided to keep my mouth shut for now, I’ll allow him to rant if he wants to, he and I deserve this, and we both needed to hear whatever this is.

 “I think we’ve both established that I’m not the most romantic person out there,” he scoffed, placing his palms on the table, “But I pleaded you to help me out, and we’re not ending in the results I’ve imagined.”

I wanted to counter, in fact, he’s one of the most romantic people I have ever met. From that day where we ran away from the paparazzi when I was upset because I had to deal with Kate, I saw more of his soft side showing. When we asked each other for advice, I could see his walls slowly dwindling down, and when he admitted that it was me, it was the end game for him.

Honestly, I thought he would be a slob and mess up with his advance, but he has proven me extremely wrong. People kept saying that I’m lucky to have Axel running around after me, and I quite agree with them, but it’s hard to give something that is not completely whole.

Adam still has a part of me, and if Axel wants me to commit to him, then it’s nearly impossible.

“For the umpteenth time,” he spoke, his eyes boring holes through me, “Tell me if I have a chance, and I want the real deal, no more poetic bullshit.”

“Axel…” I trailed off, silently chastising him for cussing out loudly at such a place, “You know the answer to that already.”

“Do I?” he asked in disbelief, “Because as I see it, even you don’t know the answer to that.”

My mouth gaped open as I agreed with him inside. Even I know for myself that it’s doubtful if I really want to be him. I’m interested by him, but enough to date him? I don’t that for myself.

He took my silence as an answer, and his face dropped. He shook his and raised his hand, requesting for the check, “We have a week left of filming for the movie, after that, we could go back to normal.”