Chapter Sixteen: Interview

With my head resting on Adam’s lap as my body was sprawled on the couch, I started casually throwing one of the pillows as the movie played out.

Just because I made Adam watch a chick flick the last time we had a movie night, he insisted that we watch something more of his liking – something with a lot of zombies and blood.

In the end, I became bored and my mother tried to be a good sport. It was obvious she wasn’t interested in the movie as she munched on her brownies. The two boys on the other hand, had their eyes completely focused on the screen.

Letting out a deep sigh, I rolled my body to see what was happening on the screen. It showed a guy running around with a gun as a zombie tried to chase him.

I don’t know why, but this kind of supernatural action is not my genre.

“Bored?” Adam asked, lightly playing with my hair.

“Kind of,” I mumbled, closing my eyes, “But you go ahead and enjoy.”

He hummed in gratitude, twirling my blonde hair absentmindedly as he continued to watch the action unveiling before his eyes.

You know what they say, it’s oddly relaxing to have your hair played by somebody else.

Hugging the pillow I was once throwing around, I allowed myself to slowly drift into slumber.

That was until my mother suddenly spoke up, “Well, it was a fun night, but it seems that it’s time for me to go.”

I slowly looked at her with tired eyes and she gestured for me not to get up. She patted Adam on the shoulder as he was still immobile, because I was using him as a human pillow.

She turned to Axel and gave him a warm smile, “It was a pleasure meeting you.”

He nodded curtly at my mother, “Thank you for the meal.”

She kneeled down to my level and patted me softly, “I know you’re tired,” she muttered, slowly soothing me, she looked up Adam and pointed at my body, “You take care of her, alright?”

“Always,” he said sincerely.

She stood up and waved at us, finally disappearing.

“You’re not going to take care of me,” I teased lightheartedly, earning a chuckle from him.

“And why not?” he questioned, “I’m your knight in shining armor.”

Grabbing the hand that he was using to play my hair, I clutched it in mine as I closed my eyes once again, “True.”

Axel suddenly coughed awkwardly, causing the both of us to snap our gazes to him.

Slowly standing up, he turned to the both of us, “Well, I’m leaving.”

I pushed myself up into a sitting position, staring right at him, “Want us to walk you to the door?”

He switched his look from me to Adam before he shook his head with a glare, “I’m good.”

Well, I’ve already cooled down, looks like he hasn’t yet.

Standing up, I followed him as he continued to march to the front door. He opened it before stepping out to my porch, ready to head back to his car.

“Hey,” I called out and he turned to look at me, “Thanks for making her smile.”

He lifted a brow right at me, silently asking if it was really me who was thanking him, “You alright, Valentine?”

Rolling my eyes at him, I let out a sigh, “She needs something to cheer her up, so thank you for coming here.”

“What’s with the mood change?”