Chapter Twelve: Crisps

I heard the birds chirping and I smiled as the sound of nature entered my senses.

This is one of the most perfect things to wake up to.

My eyes slowly opened, a little fuzzy in the beginning. They adjusted until the thing in front of me came into focus.

I all but screamed at the top of my lungs, “Oh my god!”

Axel’s eyes shot open, looking alert as he examined our surroundings before he noticed me.

“Shit!” he cursed.

Our faces were only inches apart as both of laid on the large blanket on the grass. The trees gave as enough shade to make sure the sunlight didn’t blind us the minute we woke up, but my eyesight was having troubles when Axel Brooks was so close to me.

He shot up to a sitting position, running his hand through his hair, making his messy bed hair a lot crazier.

Looking down on my body, I sighed in relief to know that I’m still clothed. Well, at least I got that part assured.

What did surprise me was Axel’s denim jacket currently draped on my upper body, providing me enough warmth.

“What the hell happened?” he asked gruffly, his voice a little husky and low, showing the remains of sleep in his system.

“I should ask you that,” I gaped, pushing myself up, his jacket fell off of my body in the process.

He stood up, stretching his muscles in the process. I may hate him but damn, those rumors about him hitting the gym really were true.

I averted my eyes just in case he’ll turn around. That will be a big blow on my dignity and a huge boost on his ginormous ego.

“Let’s head back,” he said, looking at me expectantly.

Sighing, I stood up and I winced as my muscles protested with my sudden actions. Lying on the ground at such an uncomfortable position was not a good idea.

He scooped down and grabbed the blanket. He swung it over his shoulder while I slowly commanded my body to stop whining like a baby.

Also, to calm my mind after the fact I just slept next to Axel Brooks.

I swung his jacket over my shoulder, giving myself one more stretch before I was ready to head back.

As we started to trudge back to the camp site, I turned to him and gave him a stern look, “We will never speak of this ever again.”

He gave me a lazy nod, keeping his eyes on the path we were following.

How did we ended up like this?

When we reached the site, nobody was around and all the tents were still zipped up. It was the scene that I left with last night, indicating that everybody was still asleep.

Axel carelessly threw the blanket near his tent, sitting in front of the pile of wood and rocks that was used to be our bonfire.

“Well that was not the morning I expected to wake up to,” I grumbled under my breath, sitting right across from him.

Silence fell upon us, and let me tell you, it’s awkward as hell. I started fidgeting around with the few grass peeking from the soil. Axel toyed with the hem of his pants, picking on a thread that got loose.

“So…” he drawled out, “This trip was relaxing.”

Yeah, until the morning we woke up.

“That was not a sight for a good morning,” I voiced out.