Chapter Thirty-Nine: Still Here

Tapping my foot on the carpet, I stared intently at the doorway, waiting for Adam and my mom to suddenly pop out from there. I sent Adam a text earlier that it was safe to bring her back and now, Axel and I are patiently waiting for them to arrive.

I calmed myself, made sure my eyes weren't swollen from crying and with deep breathing exercises, I looked like nothing ever happened.

"What was that episode with my dad, by the way?" I grumbled, pinching the bridge of my nose in an attempt to get rid of this headache that was shortcoming.

With a shrug, he replied, "I need to make sure he approves me of dating you."

"Well, I have to thank you," I smiled at him, "And you were also very sweet."

"Does this guarantee me that we will make out later?" he questioned with a very hopeful look.

Reaching out, I slapped him upside the head, "Not the time for that!"

"That why I said 'later'," he groaned, rubbing the spot where I hit him, "Geeze, you're so violent."

"Don't say thing like that then," I retorted, crossing my charms in front of my chest, "It makes me want to do nothing but hit you."

With that mischievous smirk, he lifted his hands in surrender, "If you're up for that kinky stuff then..."

Lord, help me with this boy.

"We're back," Adam cleared his throat, causing us to snap our attention to their direction. How long were they standing there and how much of this conversation did they hear?

Maybe Adam knew from the horror that I was showing with my face that I was silently asking those questions as he spoke, "Never knew you were into that stuff, Soph."

Some supernatural being, please make a hole in the earth and let me fall into it. The embarrassment is real in this one.

"I'm not!" I yelled, before pointing a finger towards my stupid boyfriend's direction, "It's his fault."

"I'm sorry," he apologized and I was about to smile in victory when he added, "For being so devilishly good looking that you want to do it with me."

I give up.

We heard laughter and we all went to look at my mom who was now covering her mouth as she shook, trying to keep her amusement at bay.

Just the look of her being happy was enough for me to relax.

Making my way towards her, I gave her a tight hug, "I love you, mom."

"I know," she soothed, "Did I make you worry?"

Nodding, I pulled back from her and forced myself to smile, "Are you happy, mom?"

She clicked her tongue and instead of giving me a straight answer, she my words to me, "Are you happy?"

Glancing behind me, I saw Adam and Axel also patiently waiting for my answer. Smiling at them, I turned back to my mother and answered, "Yeah, I'm happy."

She gave my cheek a light pinch, giving me a proud grin, "Good, because I'm done with making myself happy, it's your turn."

"What?"

"Boys, would you please leave us alone?" she requested from them. After sharing a look, they nodded and quietly exited the room.

Staring at her, she used her fingers to turn my incoming frown into a smile, "I have always blamed myself as the reason why my little girl refuses to fall in love."

"But mom, you saw me with Adam back then," I told her in order to shoot down her theory.

"I know what love is," she said, "The love you have with that boy was different."