Chapter Twenty-Nine: Dented and Broken

Rainbows and unicorns. Just think of rainbows and unicorns. Nothing but rainbows and unicorns.

I'm calm, I'm strong, this is nothing.

“So Soph…” Adam trailed off, snapping me out of my happy moment inside my brain.

“Rainbows and fucking unicorns!” I blurted out. Well, that wasn’t supposed to say out loud.

Adam physically flinched at my sudden outburst and slowly scooted an inch away from me, making me sigh in frustration. Running a hand through my hair, I finally thought it’s time to stop resorting to chanting weird things inside my brain.

I find it much easier to perform in front of a huge crowd than to deal with this problem.

Adam, sensing how uneasy I’ve become with each passing moment, decided that he should finally do the first move, “I know you’re upset.”

My eyes finally glanced to his direction, his hands were fidgeting as his elbows were resting on his knees, his hair that was usually gelled up was falling on his face, covering the good half of it, his gaze was set on the carpet of the floor, and the way his voice was losing the usual happy tone, was enough to break my heart.

He unintentionally caused me a heartbreak, but here I was, making him lose his normal self. I did this.

Reaching out, I took one of his hands to make him to stop twiddling and I pressed a soft kiss towards it. Something chase and a gesture of comfort, “I’m more upset to see you like this.”

“Then I’m upset that I’ve done this,” he muttered, “It’s my fault for not telling you.”

“It’s my fault for overreacting,” I countered, my tone becoming less depressed. We stared at each other for a good moment, before we had this mutual understanding that this might go nowhere if we continue with this.

“Let’s start with this then,” I breathed out, leaning against the couch to relax my tensed posture, “When did you find out.”

Even with the heavy air surrounding us, he managed to chuckle at my question, “I think the question here is, when’s the time I didn’t know about it.”

I should be offended, I really should have, but instead, I finally cracked a smile, giving him a light punch on the arm. Everybody has pointed it out, I shouldn’t be surprised with his answer. My job may be an actress, but that doesn’t mean I’m the best at hiding what I’m feeling. When I’m sad, I’ll cry, when I like a person, I’ll appear like a love sick puppy.

With the knowledge of this stupid crush, he didn’t push me away like somebody would if they found out. He treated me like how he used to, not a spark of indifference. That made me like him even more.

“You know why I helped him?” he questioned, referring to Axel. I shook my head and he gave me a soft smile, “It’s because I want to see you happy.”

“I fail to see how playing cupid with Axel Brooks is going to make me happy,” I let out a mocking tone.

I didn’t know if it was because I was slowly getting bitter with the topic or what, but I didn’t want that part of this heartfelt conversation.

Oh who am I kidding? I wanted to know it.

“Every princess needs a prince charming,” he told me. He held a face of seriousness even with the cheesy sentence.

“I don’t need a prince charming,” I suddenly yelled, my hands balling up into fists. I hated when people say that. It’s like the heavens aligned us to be together.