Chapter Twenty-Two: Fast Lane

The first thought that popped into my head when I opened the door to my dressing room was I should have answered Axel’s text about the flowers.

Roses were literally on every corner of the room, even rose petals were sprinkled on the floor, the only thing you’ll be able to see were roses, they were either in a vase, arranged in a bouquet wrapped in fancy paper, or simply sitting there on their own.

“Wow,” Adam breathed out, eyeing the inside.

I like roses and I’m in love with the color red, but this is just too much.

“Valentine,” speak of the devil. We turned and Axel was there, and guess what was in his arms. If you answered another bouquet of roses, I’m going to give you a cookie.

Can somebody please tell me what did I do to have him develop such interest towards me? I’ve been nothing but a jerk to him.

I forced a smile as I stepped towards him and accepted the flowers he got me. I turned to Adam and handed them to him, “Can you bring these inside? I need to talk to Axel.”

He nodded but he eyed Axel suspiciously as he entered the room, probably to find some space in that thing.

“Please explain,” I sighed.

“Do you want more?” he asked, his eyes showing pure cluelessness, and I had the sudden urge to slap my forehead. This guy already filled the whole room and he’s asking me if I wanted more.

“Sorry,” he apologized, “But the store ran out of roses.”

He bought out a whole flower shop out of their roses?!

I can’t actually get mad at him, especially with the effort and money he just spent on this. I do have a question, how in the world did he get into my dressing room?

“Thank you,” I said in appreciation. Honestly, I still have no idea how to act with him, the idea that he likes me is still trying to sink itself into my brain.

He just stood there and I started to get awkward, fidgeting on my spot. So what now?

Thankfully, Adam peeked his head through the doorway and called me over, “I cleared the couch, Soph.”

Smiling at Axel as a goodbye, I turned to my dressing room and gently closed the door behind me. I leaned against it as I looked at Adam who got rid of all remains of playfulness in his features as he looked deadly serious.

I rarely see that look on Adam, and when he puts it on, it means you have a lot of explaining to do.

“Axel likes me?” I said, my voice suddenly small as I tried to play it off as something extremely casual.

“I figured that out by myself,” he told me, sitting on the couch that he managed to clear out of the roses Axel had graciously gifted me with.

“I found out yesterday,” I breathed out, walked up to him, kicking the few rose petals out of my way, “Trust me, it was a huge revelation.”

“Trust me, I knew it before you did,” he mimicked my words and tone.

Thanks Adam, now I’ve realized how stupid I had been.

“You didn’t tell me,” I accused as he leaned against the couch, it was as if he already expected that this conversation was coming.

He patted the spot next to him and I sat down, staring right at him. He laid my head on his shoulder as he breathed out a sigh, “You like him?”

Without a moment of hesitation, I answered, “No.”

As much as how I appreciate Axel’s efforts and confession, I can’t just say that I like him after a day when he told me about his feelings, especially after he created the illusion that he hated me after all these years that we have known each other.