Chapter 24

Kalen

It was just like any other day. I woke up early to shower before going to the office. Harper and Toby get dressed and head over before I got out. Harper split our work into even chunks so we could finish faster. Toby was curled up on the sofa, eating a bag of chips while watching a movie on the tv.

I was finishing up the budget plan for this month when I got the call. I didn't need to be informed of what was happening. I could feel the breach in the border, the scent of a rogue reaching my nostrils.

Toby was paler than I'd ever seen him. He shoots up from the sofa, standing on wobbling legs. He runs out the door before I can stop him.

"Fuck, Toby! Come back," Harper yells, standing as well. I place my hand against his chest, gently pushing him back down into his chair.

"Oh no, you're not going anywhere."

"We have to go get him, Kalen!"

"I'm going to find him. Not you. You're pregnant and I'm not allowing you to put yourself in danger. Tell the pack to stay indoors while I deal with the rogue and find Toby."

Harper scowls at me but at least he doesn't protest. I kiss his cheek before following after Toby. The more I follow his scent, realizing where he went, I begin to run. My feet pound against the floor, heart racing as I make my way outside.

I find Toby standing before a naked man, my warriors standing far away from the pair. I snarl, my nails growing into claws.

Why the fuck aren't you doing anything about this?! I growl through the mind link.

I'm sorry Alpha, one of the warriors, Liam, says through the link. He has a gun with him. He threatened to shoot Toby if we move.

Fuck...

Now I notice the pistol pressed against Toby's head. His bottom lip was quivering, legs shaking as he sobs.

My wolf was furious. Seeing Toby in distress was making my wolf go crazy. Clawing at my mind in an attempt to reach our mate.

The man who was holding onto Toby was large. His bulging stomach hung from his midsection. He was hairy as well. Hair covered almost every inch of his exposed body. His eyes were a glowing red, one of the telltale signs of a rogue.

The rogue slides his free hand up along Toby's chest, coming to rest on his throat. He squeezes, making Toby choke and grab at his hand.

"Alpha Kalen," the rogue smirks. "I've heard quite a bit about you and your pack of mutts."

"Let him go," I snarl, taking a step in their direction.

The rogue clicks his tongue, tapping the end of the pistol against Toby's head.

"I wouldn't come any closer. If you do, his brains will decorate your lawn." The rogue says, his grin growing wider.

"Besides," he continues, stroking Toby's cheek. "I think you'll want to hear my side of the story. The real reason Toby stumbled across your land."

"What are you talking about? You're the sick fuck who raped him! He ran from you for a reason, there's no other 'story' to tell."

"Oh, but there is. Listen closely, little Alpha. Let me tell my story and you can rip me to shreds after. I knew that I'd be going down all along. It was a risk coming here in the first place. I should have known my plan was too ambitious, so I'm here to 'turn myself in' for lack of better words. I thought, 'might as well take him down with me.'"