Chapter 16

*Bonus pov*
Sage

It was late afternoon and Adrian, Fallon, and I had just sat down to eat our dinner. The atmosphere around us was still as tense as ever. But over the past few weeks, we had lots of serious conversations which ultimately led to them forgiving me.

Fallon had been more forgiving than Adrian was. Adrian was devastated, just as Flynn was. They both loved Hunter and Kalen and felt as if they had missed out greatly.

It took Flynn such a long time to finally agree to speak to me. And when we did, he cried and cried until he couldn't cry any longer. Asking me why I kept such a secret for as long as I did.

And telling the truth, I would have kept it for as long as I could if I hadn't slipped up.

Having to piece together my life again was difficult. One of the hardest things I had to do. And even then, some of the pieces were still missing. I deserved to be ridiculed for my past decisions. I was a terrible person to Kalen. I promised Rayne all those years ago that I would be an amazing uncle to my sons because I couldn't take care of them as a father would. But I failed him so miserably.

I found it easy to love Hunter, caring for him, and spending time with him. But with Kalen, I took one look at him and...

He looked so much like Afton. He talked like him, he moved like him, he even sounded like him. It was all too much for me which caused me to push him away. It was unfair of me to hurt Kalen like that.

Hunter and I had met up and talked. He said that he forgave me and doesn't blame me for giving them to Rayne. But he expressed his dislike of my behavior towards Kalen.

Hunter, surprisingly, had taken to calling me 'mom'. He said that he had two fathers and since I was the one who birthed him, he would call me mom.

I didn't deserve to be called mom. I didn't even deserve Hunter's forgiveness. There was still so much that I had to make up for in their lives. It was almost all too much...

"Sage," a voice startles me, which knocks me out of my thoughts. I look up to find Adrian and Fallon staring at me.

"I'm sorry, I'm just a little out of it today," I say, smiling weakly at the pair. Adrian bites his lip, nodding behind me.

I turn to find Kalen standing in the doorway to the small dining room. My heart pounds in my chest as Afton's face flashes into view. I blink repeatedly until the image is gone.

"Can I talk to you once you have a minute to spare, Sage?" Kalen asks.

I nod, standing so fast that I knock into the table, cutlery clattering as I steady myself.

"Of course!"

"You don't have to come now. You're eating."

"I'm not hungry," I say, my heart pounding painfully in my chest.

I follow Kalen to the small living area taking a seat beside him on the large couch. I put about an arm's length of space between us so he feels more comfortable.

"I know what you are doing with Toby," he starts. "I... thank you for helping him learn to speak. I appreciate it, I really do. It's just so unexpected. I was so angry with Toby when I found out he was sneaking away into the woods at night. I understand that he wanted privacy while he practiced but I just wish that he told me what he was doing. I could have given him a space to practice instead of fearing that the worst has happened to him."