[2] Some talks we all avoid

Chapter Two

"The court is going to get busy in a while, anyways. What with the Shahid Raza case taking everything by storm," Harris's voice came out through the speaker of the phone, and Zahid nodded, a sigh escaping his lips as he tapped his finger on the steering wheel.

"They will still try to delay it as much as possible," he said, the disgust clear in his voice.

"True," Harris replied, "So, what do you want me to do if we get any clients?"

"Let's stay closed for a while. If someone still contacts you, tell them we're on a break. If it's urgent, let me know."

"Alrighty! When are you coming back?"

"Three weeks? A month? I'll see – whenever Khala* let's me," Zahid chuckled, "I need a break, anyway. We did not even get free weekends for the last three months."

"Ai, yes. I'll just sleep for at least a week," Harris said and Zahid grinned, completely understanding where he was coming from. "Anyways, drive safely. Give my salam to Aunty. Allah Hafiz."

"Allah Hafiz," Zahid said as he turned off his phone. The sun had already set and the sky was getting dark outside. Rubbing at his eyes, Zahid exhaled slowly, trying to focus on his driving.

For the last three months or so, the small law firm he and Harris had opened had gotten busier than ever. Ever since Zahid had won the property case against a village politician, his client number had increased considerably. The case wasn't supposed to be too difficult but since it was against a low-grade politician, there was still a chance that he would lose. The judge though had been honest, and Zahid had ended up winning it.

Smiling to himself, Zahid leaned back in his seat, as his car rushed through the motor-way. He was going to visit his khala now, and enjoy a peaceful break.

Or so he thought. 

~~~

By the time he arrived in the small town where his aunt lived, it was already past ten, and the dark night sky greeted him. The stars, which weren't as visible back in the crowded city of Lahore, glittered in greeting and Zahid smiled. He slowly drove towards his aunt's house, thinking about how surprised she would be.

Zahid, planning on giving her a surprise, had not said anything to her about him coming. Making sure not to be loud, he parked his car in the driving lot. He got out and zipped his jacket when the chilly wind hit him, taking out his suitcase from the trunk of the car.

The town was very silent, unlike the city where the cars were constantly honking anytime during the night. There wasn't a car in sight, and Zahid inhaled slowly as he jumped up the steps and towards the front door.

He knocked on the door, smiling to himself as he soon heard shuffling inside, before his aunt's voice came through the door, "Who is it?"

Struggling to keep a straight face, Zahid cleared his throat, changing his voice when he spoke up. "Delivery for Mrs. Ahmed."