[24] The light at the end of the tunnel

Chapter Twenty-four

The house was small and shabby. As Zahid and Samra were led towards the dingy living room, three kids stood by on the porch and stared at them with interest. It was obvious that getting such guests was a rare sight.

The man himself- Qammar Fayaz, seemed unsure, and as they entered the room- Zahid's gaze took in the furniture: a char-pai, two chairs, a table and an old sofa.

"Take a seat, please," Qammar said uncertainly, running a hand through his hair. He seemed to be in his thirties- a little to the shorter side. His neck was slightly bent- as if all his life, he had only lowered himself in front of the people he served.

As Samra sat down on the only sofa in the room, Zahid took the chair.

"What can I get you? Tea? Juice?"

Before Zahid could politely reject, Samra beat him to it. "Tea would work, thank you."

Qammar nodded, turning towards the door, when, as if on cue- a frail woman appeared, a simple chaddar covering her entire form. She called out her salaam, placing the tray on the table.

Women were magicians. Zahid thought to himself. During the time it took them to walk from the gate to the living room- she had already made and served the tea.

Zahid blinked at the cup before his gaze returned to the couple who were now seated on the char-pai, looking at them expectantly. Thus, Zahid, who had taken hold of his cup, put it down on the table again and leaned forward in his seat.

"Sir-"

"Qammar. My name is Qammar."

Zahid's brow shot up but he nodded nonetheless. "Qammar," he said again, speaking slowly and carefully, "We need your help."

Zahid knew he wasn't exactly being professional- but every single bit of this house displayed simplicity- a lifestyle of the less-privileged, the ones who barely manage to make ends meet.

"Help?" Qammar repeated, his brows drawn together. "I do not have much to offer, but if it is anything within my control, then I will help you."

"It is," Zahid nodded. "We need a witness against Shahid Raza."

Qammar's wife let out a gasp and Qammar himself stared at Zahid in horror. Before either of them could say anything, Zahid clasped his hands together and started talking.

He told them of how he was a lawyer and was searching for a witness against Shahid Raza, that Syed's death was one that deserved justice, and of how he was led to Qammar Fayaz- the driver who had witnessed everything.

When Zahid paused for a break, Samra took over. She talked about her husband, her children- she begged Qammar, her hands clasped together. She begged him to stand as a witness against Raza, and questioned that was she asking for too much when she asked that the man who had made her a widow and her children orphans- be punished?