[13] Broken friendships

Chapter Thirteen

It was a lost battle.

Ever since that Asma incident, Amal hadn't been herself. The dread clawed at her brain, and Amal passed the days in anxiety, not being able to get Asma's words out of her head. When she would finally forget it for an hour or two- any passing mention of Zahid would remind her, and her stomach would twist and turn.

Amal had not yet told anyone about it. She had tried, a couple of times, to talk to her mother, but with her maternal uncle and guests coming over to her place, she did not get the chance.

Amal hadn't written for days, either. Every time she would sit down to write, the words would never form in her head and her hands would hover aimlessly over the keyboard, no words coming out.

"Amal? Are you even listening to me?"

Amal snapped out of her daze, looking up at Maham- who had her arms crossed and was looking at her suspiciously. When Amal blinked dumbly, Maham let out a groan, collapsing down next to her.

"Amal, whatever is the matter with you? I've been here for days and you've been so out of it. What's wrong?"

Amal sat up straighter, shaking her head. "Nothing," she said quickly, "I was just thinking about something."

Maham tilted her head, a knowing smile on her face. "Something or someone, eh?" Amal resisted the urge to roll her eyes as Maham went on, "You were thinking about your fiancé, weren't you? I must've known. Amal and Zahid... ah, beautiful. I even made a ship name for you: Zamal. It's cute, isn't it?"

Amal sighed, shaking her head. "I don't think I should even respond to that. Don't you have anything better to do?"

"'Course not. It's not every day that my best friend and my cousin gets married," Maham grinned. "Anyways, I'll be the bridesmaid at your wedding. "

"This is Pakistan, sweetheart. We don't do bridesmaids here."

"Do I care? Nope." Maham sighed wistfully, "Amal, I can't believe that you're getting married and coming to Lahore! It seems like yesterday when we used to fight over fictional crushes." As Maham rolled over on the bed, she noticed Amal's expression- a faraway look in her eyes.

"Amal," Maham said, sitting up, "Did something happen?"

Maham had known Amal for nearly all of her life. The two had been friends when they were toddlers and their friendship had only grown throughout the years. (Even if Maham did live in Lahore) Thus, it did not take her long to sense that something was up with Amal, for Amal was too quiet, and wasn't giving Maham her usual witty responses.

Amal, for a second, was about to deny again, but sensing the determination in Maham's eyes, and the aching craving of her heart to have a confidant, she ended up telling Maham everything, in a helpless desire to calm her anxious heart.