[29] Brothers

This chapter is dedicated to @kaNisar because if there is one chapter she would never want me to dedicate to her... it is this. (also because she can be a nice sister sometimes and is always the first one to read my chapters and proofread them)

Chapter Twenty-nine

The beep stretched on for far too long

The beep stretched on for far too long. It was like the annoying screech of a car on a morning when you're already distressed. The sort that makes you want to turn around and shout at the driver to watch where he was going.

Zahid paced the room, his phone pressed to his ear. Pick up. Pick up. Pick up.

He was not sure why he was in such a hurry. Perhaps it was because he had so many questions for Harris. Questions of why Harris had done this.

Was it because he needed money? Zahid doubted that. Harris came from a well-off family and their friendship was one where they did not hesitate sharing their financial struggles and asking each other for help.

The second reason he could think of was even more disturbing than the first and it came to him in the form of a question Zahid had asked himself a few weeks ago.

How come Raza had only threatened him once? How come he had taken no serious action to stop Zahid?

And the answer that now came to him chilled him to the bones. Why would Raza threaten him if he already had something to ensure that he would win the case? And why would Harris provide Raza with wrong information if not to protect-

"Assalamualaikum?"

Zahid froze, Harris' voice snapping him out of his thoughts. "Where are you?"

"On my way back. Why?"

It was taking every bit of Zahid's strength to keep his voice calm. "What the hell have you been up to, Harris?" he hissed, his voice low.

"What have I been-" Harris cut off, perhaps connecting the dots. When he spoke again, his voice was low and hesitant. "What are you talking about?"

Zahid squeezed his eyes shut. "The emails, Harris. The wrong information. What have you been doing behind my back? Accepting money as well-"

"You found out," Harris cut him off, his voice strangely calm; as if he had expected this to happen sooner or later. "Listen, Zahid. I am on my way back. Let's talk once I am there."

Zahid pursed his lips but did not argue. "Faaris is out of jail," he said instead, the apprehension clear in his voice.

"I know."

"Wrong information and taking money from them, they're not going to let this slide- dammit, Harris, why?"

There was silence from the other side for a few seconds.