[12] Rings and Promises

Chapter Twelve

He was getting married.

Three days left till his Nikkah, and Zahid was a complete mess. Sitting by the window in his room, a blanket wrapped around him, Zahid stared at the sky. Perhaps at a moment like this, one would have expected him to think of something beautiful.

Zahid, however, wasn't thinking of anything. Well, he had been- a while back, but his thoughts had been far too wild, and Zahid had ended up getting a headache. Thus, he was sitting like this now... trying to erase all thoughts from his mind.

He felt a little like Master Shifu from Kungfu Panda.

Staring out at the trees that rustled in the early December wind, Zahid heaved a sigh. His mind- believing that a five-minute rest was far too much- was beginning to wake up again. He had his Nikkah in three days, his Phupo would be coming sometime soon, and he half suspected that his aunt was possessed. The amount of work she was doing!

Zahid shuddered, tightening the blanket around him. His expression had only just relaxed when the door opened and Mrs. Ahmed peaked in. Zahid looked up, alarmed- hoping against all hopes that she wouldn't send him off to the market again.

"Zahid. Come to my room for a bit," was all she said before she closed the door behind her. Zahid frowned at her secretive tone. Forcing himself to get up, he neatly put the blanket back on his bed before he made his way towards his Aunt's room.

She was sitting on the sofa when he entered, her gaze fixed on a small, black, velvet box in her hands. His brows arching even more, Zahid eyed the box as he took a seat next to her. "What is it, Khala?"

Mrs. Ahmed met his gaze, a solemn look in her eyes. Subconsciously tapping her fingers on the box, she cleared her throat. "We haven't bought a ring for Amal yet, have we?"

"No..."

"I was wondering- I mean, it's completely up to you, of course, but I thought you might want to give her this," Mrs. Ahmed said, handing him the black box.

Zahid blinked at his Aunt- not sure what to expect. Looking down at the box, a bit cautiously, Zahid raised the lid. A diamond jewel glittered in the light, a white gold band holding the jewel in place. As his eyes fell on the ring, a sudden sense of familiarity hit Zahid.

"It was your mother's wedding ring."

Zahid's heart skipped a beat, his eyes widening. His eyebrows drew together as he looked down at the delicate piece of jewelry, an overwhelming wave of emotions crashing over him.

This ring... it belonged to his mother.

His hands slightly shaky, Zahid touched the ring. As the tip of his finger made contact with the white gold, the hair on his arm stood up and a shiver ran down his spine. Zahid retrieved his hand at once, inhaling sharply. For a while, he continued to stare down at the ring before he tore his gaze away, his heart pounding wildly. He looked up at his aunt- noticing her glazed eyes as she looked back at him.