[22] When the past comes knocking at your door

Chapter Twenty-two

Harris had advised him against this. "He's kicked you out once, Zahid. It's obvious he isn't going to agree."

Yet, Zahid had sensed an aura around Shamoor. He had seen a hint of humanity in his eyes, and thus, Zahid had decided to give it another try.

That morning, he had seen Maryam and Walid out in the park. They were playing around with a young man who introduced himself as Dawood, their uncle. As Zahid had made small-talk with Dawood-finding out that he was a hard working, honest citizen- his gaze had not once left the children.

Thinking of how their father had been snatched from them made Zahid's blood boil, and he clenched his hands, telling himself that he was going to do everything he could to win this case.

Amal's words echoed in Zahid’s mind. He had stumbled upon her article completely by chance. About to close her laptop after he had found her asleep at dawn- the words had caught his eye.

Words are so powerful. In Amal's words, her optimistic view- Zahid had found comfort. His heart had swelled with pride and motivation- and Zahid had decided to work harder than ever. He read the last paragraph again and again, till the words were imprinted in his mind. He had then turned to look at Amal's sleeping form.

She was leaving in a day, and perhaps only now was Zahid beginning to realize how her never-ending support always kept him going. He found it funny, how at one point in his life, he could not have imagined sharing his life with someone, and now- he could not imagine his life without her.

Still, it was dangerous, and Zahid knew that she couldn't stay.

Now, as he stood outside Shamoor's house once again, he prayed to his Lord for success, because while Zahid could only try... everything was in the hands of Allah, and with His help, anything was possible.

The gate opened. Shamoor's eyes clashed with Zahid's and widened. In a flash of movement, Shamoor made to close the door, but Zahid knew what he had to do. "The second murder," he said quickly, "This is the second time Raza has murdered somebody, and he still roams around freely."

Zahid paused, and much to his relief, he found Shamoor listening. "This time, we can actually do something about it!" He took a  step forward, "Only if you are willing to stand as a witness-"

"I've told you before," Shamoor's voice was curt, "I am not going to do it-"

"Why? You know that your sentence can be greatly reduced if you do," Zahid tilted his head, his eyes narrowing, "Unless Raza has already promised that he will get you out using his connections. "

One glance at Shamoor's expression and Zahid knew that he was right. If he had any hopes from this visit, they had all disappeared now. "Believe me, sir," Zahid swallowed his disgust, "That won't happen. Raza won't be able to get you out because he himself would be in jail. Insha'Allah."