Pt.26 From hope, with love

Chapter 26

By Sunday afternoon, Ella had completed all her extra credit assignments. Maksim cheered for her as she submitted the last piece of work and collapsed on the floor of her room in exhaustion.

"I'm not getting into Columbia," Ella whined as she laid on the floor. "My grades are going to be horrible."

"You're getting at least a B-. It's not the end of the world. And you still have two more semesters to bring your overall scores up," Maksim said as he laid back with his arms folded behind his head staring up at the ceiling.

Ella turned her face to look at him as she laid with her chest pressed against the soft rug. Her eyes lingered on the sharp features of his face as sunlight coming in through the window radiated off of him.

"You think I can do it?" She asked in a small voice.

"Of course," Maksim nodded.

"What about you? What are your plans after graduation?"

"Back to St. Rieka," Maksim said. "It's family tradition."

Suddenly, Ella grew very quiet. Her chest began to hurt as she slowly realized what was waiting for them in the future. She reached out with her hand and twirled her finger in Maksim's hair.

"St. Rieka is in upstate New York, right?" She asked.

Maksim nodded as he closed his eyes and enjoyed her playing with his hair. He was so calm he could almost fall asleep.

"If you're worried about us being separated in the fall, I suggest you get that idea out of your head," he said, feeling Ella's anxiety through her fingers.

"How did you know?" Ella smiled as she moved a little closer to him.

"I just do," Maksim said. "Don't worry about fall. I got it all planned out."

"Oh really?"

"Yes."

"Please do share."

"Well," Maksim opened his eyes and turned to look at Ella. "We will get an apartment for you off campus near Columbia. I will come down every Friday and stay the whole weekend. My classes can be moved around so that I leave Monday afternoon and then we repeat the cycle all over again on Friday."

"Oh you have it all planned out, don't you?" Ella laughed.

"It's a fantastic plan," Maksim said. "My parents fell in love in New York."

"There is a huge plot hole in your plans."

"What's that?"

"What if I don't get into Columbia?"

"Then we will move this plan around wherever you are."

"How will that work if I am in Australia and you are in New York?"

"You're planning on going to college in Australia?" Maksim raised a brow.

"No," Ella shook her head. "Just an example. What if I'm not in New York?"

"Baby, you forget my family has three pixie gold rings." Maksim smiled as he closed his eyes again. Ella continued to twirl her fingers in his hair as she gazed up at him basking in the sun.

"I won't get any scholarships with my grades this semester," Ella worried.

"You don't need them. You'll be able to pay for Columbia and the apartment all by yourself."

"Am I robbing a bank or something?"

"No," Maksim laughed. "You'll be the Queen. It's only a matter of time before brands and companies start sending your endorsement deals."