Pt.1 A Prince

Chapter 1

"So who was the pretty blonde?" Alec asked Maksim as the car pulled out of the airport.

Maksim chuckled as he scratched his eye brow with his thumb.

"That was Stella," he said. "A friend from school."

"Oh," Alec raised a brow as he tried to hide his smile. "A friend?"

"Come on, Uncle Alec," Maksim laughed.

"Alright, alright. I'm done teasing."

"How's everyone at home?"

"They're all good, we all missed you very much," Alec nodded. "You mom is still upset you didn't come home for spring break."

"But I came home for all the other holidays!"

"Listen, kid," Alec laughed. "Take it up with the queen."

"How are Arden and Ian?"

"They're good," Alec nodded. "Ian started kindergarten this year."

"I heard," Maksim smiled. "How's he liking it?"

"Oh I'm sure he's the reason his teacher drinks every night,"

"I bet," Maksim placed his hand over his chest and laughed.

"Are you ready for your birthday?"

"Eh," Maksim shrugged looking down at his hand. "I guess."

"You guess?" Alec raised a brow. "You're turning eighteen! This is a big deal."

"Just another birthday without a mate,"

"Oh come on" Alec rolled his eyes and placed a hand over his nephew's shoulder. "You'll find her. What's the rush? I didn't meet Eden until I was 27 and Xavier didn't meet Rye until he was like a hundred something."

"I don't know how Paws could be so patient," Maksim let out the breath he was holding. "I would have surely gone mad."

"Stop being dramatic," Alec shook his head. "Did you invite Stella to the party?"

"I -" Maksim was about to answer when his eyes caught the sight outside.

The car drove past a store front that hung a shredded flag. And not just any flag. The royal flag.

Maksim turned in his seat and stared out the window at the unsettling sight.

"Don't pay attention to that?" Alec said, noticing what the boy was staring at.

"What's all that about?" Maksim asked. "Are the protesters getting worse?"

Alec took in a deep breath and adjusted his watch, "Yes. But you don't have to worry about them."

"What do they want? Mom granted their demands about the taxes,"

"They are rioting for a new change now,"

"What's that?"

"They want the monarchy gone."

"What?" Maksim couldn't believe what he was hearing. "Abolish the monarchy? That is ridiculous. How will the werewolf community run itself?"

"They're saying the royal family no longer has the people's best interest at heart."

"What do they want?" Maksim shook his head. "They want us to invite them over for tea every time we have a big decision to make?"

"Something like that," Alec looked out the window as they passed the town.

_________________