25

I brushed and brushed and brushed my hair, choosing to lose myself in the repetitive motion because I didn't want to deal with my thoughts. Well, mainly one.

Do I really, really like Kaldur? Or am I falling victim to the fake dating scheme, where you only like the person because you were putting on an act?

He's nice. He's caring. He's an Atlantean so Dad isn't too mad. I've known him for a while which is part of why I kissed him without warning. It was payback for one time he used me to avoid a villian. My heat rate does tend to speed up around him and I'll admit I've checked him out a couple times, but dies that really mean I like him like him?"

"Are you okay?" Tyson asked, looking up at me from the floor.

"I'm fine, Big Guy." I smiled. "Hey, how did you know you liked Ella?"

Tyson tilted his head. "Ella's very nice and pretty. Why wouldn't I like her?" That was about what I expected, so I don't know why I'm surprised.

"Just wondering."

"Is this about the betrothal? Are you not sure you want to marry Kaldur?" Tyson asked.

I nodded. "I mean, he says he likes me too, but I don't want to pick who I'll get married to now. I want to be able to go on dates with the person you know? Find out what they're like and then decide. Not pick someone to marry and figure out what they're like later."

"You know Kaldur though."

"Yeah, but that's why I'm not entirely sure if I should marry him. He's got his whole life ahead of him. Plus I know Orin is grooming him to be Aquaman some day, I'm not sure I could handle that. I've already lost so many people, Tyson."

He patted my head. I knew if I was level with him, he would've pulled me into a bone crushing hug, so I found myself glad to being laying on my bed.

"Tell him that. If Kaldur really like you, then he'd understand why you don't want to go through with it. Plus Auntie Hera owes you because of what she did, you could have her wipe your memories of the engagement."

"When did you get so smart?" I laughed. I'll admit, I considered what he said. It wouldn't be fair to Kaldur to wipe his memories of something I caused. But on the other hand, if Hera wiped the memories of everyone involved...

We could go back to acting like friends without any awkwardness.

Which is why I ended up back in the Cave, sitting on Kaldur's bed with him at his desk. He worked on mission reports, focus never wandering. He didn't even notice when I came in.

"Hey, Kaldur?" I said. He jumped, almost knocking his chair over backwards.

"I did not hear you come in. How long have you been here?"

"Three minutes." I sighed and shook my head. "Listen, we- we need to talk."

He turned the chair around so he could look at me. "I presume this us about the betrothal."

"Yeah. I, uh, I think we should break it off." I waited for an outburst, forgetting who I was dealing with, but all Kaldur did was gesture for me to continue. "I'm not entirely sure of how much of my feelings were because of the...situation around it or genuine. I don't want to lead you on or anything, and honestly I'd rather date someone and then choose to marry them, not the other way around."

"I can understand your reasoning behind it, but would this not simply prompt your father into forcing another marriage?"

"I'm planning on threatening to move to Alaska or something. I could try to join the Hunt again, but Artemis has already said no once before. Never should have said the whole 'I'm never going to join the Hunt because blah blah blah leaving people behind blah blah blah.' Especially in front of the gods."

"It probably was not among your best decisions. But if this is what you want Percy, I will not stop you. Besides, if we are no longer betrothed, I can go back to acting outside of what us deemed fit and proper."

"What?"

"There are certain expectations for your betrothed, and they are quite honestly worse than being my king's protege. If you excuse me-" he moved and draped himself across my lap like he's done a million times before. "I can do this again."

I rolled my eyes and pushed him off of my lap. "Idiot." He flipped me off. I kicked him. "Is that any way to act?"

"You are the only one here who I can do that to without having a heart attack. Where do they get the idea that I do not swear?"

"Have you met yourself? If I didn't meet you when we were twelve it would surprise me. I kinda wonder what would happen if I told them how much you swore back then."

"They would all die," Kaldur said with a straight face before a smile tugged at his lips.

"You have no faith in them, do you?"

"I have no faith in you to stop doing really stupid plans."

"They work."

"It does not make them any less stupid or dangerous."

"You know I am a good strategist. You just don't want to admit that I'm better than you at it."

"Perhaps."

"Oh, hey. Before I forget. One of my aunts owes me a favor. I could have her erase any knowledge of the whole betrothal thing from everyone's minds. It would make things easier, and if we do actually have any feeling for each other they'd be genuine and not created. So then neither of-"

"Do whatever you want. Honestly I do not care."

Okay, so I'm giving you options this time.

Erase

Don't erase

Kaldur

Wally

Mainly because I know some people really want a Wally x Percy ship and I have a bunch with Kaldur already so I'll leave it to you guys.

See yah