17

"Are you serious?" I asked, staring at Artemis through the Iris Message. "Why can't I join?"

She sighed. "Percy, it wouldn't be an issue if you hadn't stated, in front of your dad, that you would never join the Hunt and live knowing that the people you care about will age and die. Actually it still would be an issue, but for you to join the Hunt after saying that and with the timing...Your father is more powerful than I am. He would send something after the Hunt to kill most of my girls. I'm sorry, but I can't help you."

She sliced her hand through the message leaving me to mumble out cuss words.

I paced around my room. This isn't good. This isn't good. Artemis was my last ditch effort, my last chance to get out of this stupid marriage. And now I know I'm stuck.

"Percy, are you okay?"

My head snapped up and I stared at Canary. Eyes widening I stumbled back.

"You almost gave me a heart attack."

A small smile tugged at her lips. "Sorry. But are you okay? You seem upset."

"I'm fine," I said, forcing a smile. "Just usual teen stuff, worrying about my brother, and if my cousins are going to try to set my stuff on fire. Again." Chiron needs to ban them from having matches and lighters. Not like it will stop them, if anything it would encourage them more.

Still, having my cabin and everything in it lit on fire would be better than the situation I'm in right now.

"If you ever need to talk to-"

"Why were you coming in here in the first place?" I interrupted her.

"I wanted to know if you'd be interested in joining the training sessions. Batman never specified exactly what your role on the Team would be."

"I get to beat the crap out of people and not get in trouble? Count me in. Just let me get changed."

She nodded and walked out of the room. The moment I finished changing, I walked out. Canary was waiting.

"After we finish, we're going to go outside and do some water rescue training."

"Even better." I grinned and followed her to the training room. Everyone else was gathered. Dick was the only one of the boys to have a top on. As much as my eyes were drawn to Kaldur, I avoided looking at him.

I was partnered with Wally, leading to me dodging not only superfast punches and kicks, but also his flirting. I swear he flirts more than Drew.

My arms ached with each blow I blocked. I had to end this. I kneed him and he sank to the ground groaning.

"That's what you get for hitting on a girl who doesn't want to be hit on." A smirk crossed my face. All that was left to do was to wait for the others to get done with their own bouts.

It took entirely too long. Once they were done, we headed straight out the back door onto the beach. Normally, I would enjoy anything that meant I'd get to swim, but after my last conversation with Dad I'm not sure how welcome I am in the sea anymore.

"Okay, for this exercise you're going to draw straws. Whoever draws the shortest straw will be our damsel in distress and they'll be our drowner. No drowning will actually occur, hopefully."

Canary held out a handful of straws and we each drew one. True to my luck, I drew the shortest straw. I sighed.

"Good thing I free-dive." I walked towards the water. "I'll swim out past the breaks and float or sink or whatever I feel like doing. Don't let me drown. It's not fun."

First up was Megan. That went well. So did Connor's rescue and Artemis's. And then it was Kaldur's turn...

Theoretically, his should have been the easiest. But nothing in my life ever works according to theory.

Water swirled around me, gently tossing my hair as I floated. I tangled my hand in my necklace and stared at the sunlight surface.

"Are you going to make this more difficult than it needs to be?" Kaldur asked.

"I could if I really wanted to. Come here."

Kaldur swam closer and I wrapped my arms around him. I rested my head on his shoulder. Even if this is a sham, we need it to seem real. He returned the hug, and my heart skipped a beat as his hand rested where my tank top had ridden up. I know he didn't mean to, but it didn't stop the blood rushing to my face.

"We should get you to shore before they believe you have drowned." He released me before gathering me into his arms. That only made my blush deepen.

The atmosphere changed and I scowled. "Dad, chill out. It's a training exercise. If it weren't for you, I'd be doing normal teenage demigod things." Not exactly true but he doesn't need to know that. The water around us churned angrily. A loud sigh left my lips. I rested my head against Kaldur. "I'm going to take a nap. Wake me up before dinner?"

"Can you please stay awake until we reach shore?"

"No." I yawned. "Pretending to run out of air is exhausting. I don't think I'll be able to do any more of these things today." As I spoke my eyes grew heavy and my words blurred together. I giggled. "I'm surprised Dad's not mad that you're not wearing the-"

"Rest now, Percy. If you are truly tired, then rest."

And that is what I need to do

Can one of you start the chain?

Also

Who hates the new update? It's so stupid.

I could deal with the other stuff but for someone who doesn't have easy access to the internet it's horrible. Not to mention 2 stories a row looks horrible.

Uh.

See yah