31

"Kaldur?" I knocked on his door. No sounds came from inside, and I shoved my hand into my pocket, reaching for my access card. I overrode the lock and stepped inside, fully expecting to see Kaldur passed out at his desk for the umpteenth time. As many times as I told him he's still a kid, that he's too young to be overworking himself like this, I had found his with his arms folded on crumpled paperwork for Batman. 

And if I took said paperwork, filled it out, and gave it to Batman while also yelling at him fo rthe amount of pressure he's putting on the Team, well, Kaldur didn't need to know that. 

What I didn't expect, however, was to see Kaldur and Percy curled together on his bed. He gently ran his fingers over Percy's hair. He was mumbling something in Atlantean. Even without knowing a lick of the language, I had heard Orin mutter in it far enough to understand that the wavers in his voice weren't an effect of speaking it on land. I didn't know if he meant to be speaking or if it was on purpose; either way he had become so engrossed in it, he flinched when I sat on the edge of the mattress. My hands smoothed over the blue cotton blankets, noting the pile of other, heavier blankets I knew for a fact he had received as presents. Including a Tweety Bird one I had given him. 

"How is she?" I asked. Kaldur looked at me, pale eyes searching my face before settling back to look at the still sleeping Percy.  Silence draped over us, only broken by the occasional noise from Percy. At those, Kaldur would lift his hand, drop it, and hush her. It was only once Percy had seemed to settle into more restful sleep that he spoke.

"What happened?"

"You know I can't talk about that." Not further than I already have. 

"Percy..." said Kaldur, "she has a history of disassociation." Making peace with my presence here, he lifted his hand and let his fingers continue over Percy's hair. "Percy has not had what one would call an easy life, not by any stretch of the word's meaning. And I am afraid that this may cause her to draw back again. She places much of the blame for what happens around her on her own shoulders, even if they are things she has no control over."  I made a mental note to bring this up with him in his next session. Because, like it or not, he's shown some of these same things. 

It would have to wait. And it would be put off time and time again because he would- No, focus. I sighed. "She didn't like freaking out, did she?"

"Would anyone?" Kaldur sat up, crossing his legs. With a soft sigh, he looked at his lap. "As much as the other members of the Team dislike her opinion of us doing this, I cannot disagree with her reasoning. We are not the only ones putting ourselves at risk, and-"

"If you finish that sentence I'm telling your mom you're a tattletale," Percy said. My head snapped to look at her. She scrubbed at her eyes and let out a cat-like yawn. All teeth, much too wide, and nearly silent. 

"So it would be decrease in the punishment?"

Percy blinked, and then Kaldur hissed. His hand flew to his side, coming away sticky with blood. "Preemptive stabbing."

My eyes widened. About to rise to my feet, I only stopped due to the fond smile on Kaldur's face. 

"You are a menace, my friend."

"Which of my older brothers have ever given you a reason to think otherwise?" Kaldur opened his mouth only to close it. "Hm, yeah that's what I thought." Percy sat up, placing one hand on the side of Kaldur's head and pushing him to the side. "If you're here to check up on me, don't bother."

"We need to-" I said, only to be cut off with a glare that rose the hairs on the back of my neck. Percy's eyes seemed to literally glow with anger. Even the placating hand Kaldur held up did nothing to lessen its intensity. 

"We don't need to do anything. I have a therapist. Sure he might have some unconventional methods, but he also knows what I have issues with. I think him knowing what to avoid is far better than not being shot at by arrows when I lie." 

What. 

"That is most concerning example you could give," said Kaldur.

"No no, that would be the time he made me fight with Clarisse every time I lied to him. "

"You are friends with her."

"And Will is dating my cousin."

"Not technically your cousin."

"Just because we don't share DNA doesn't make him any less important to me."  Percy crossed her arms. "You should know that full well, Mr This is a small angry child and I love him."  She rolled her eyes and sat back beside Kaldur. He kept a wary eye on her, hand moving to protect his wound. "Relax, I already got my stabbing in."

Kaldur mumbled under his breath and Percy glared at him before responding in kind. Seeing I wouldn't be getting anything helpful, and that staying would probably only serve to further divide Percy from the Team, I got up. I tapped my fingers on the top of Kaldur's head as a notice before walking towards the door. 

"Do you want me to turn the light off?" I asked.

"No, it will be fine. Thank you, Black Canary."

As I took one last glance back, I couldn't help but see Kaldur coaxing Percy into his arms. 

Oh, this was so going in the betting pool.

Haha! Alive? Yes

Tired? Yes

Wanting you guys to put ideas in this line------>

Also yes

I am going to watch videos regret my life choices and go to be later than I should. Also, go check out ltlcinnamonroll's choose your own adventure story, The Cottage

I'm not tagging her cause it's unlikely she'll read this but go read it because she is nice and fun. aka me but with more patience tone awareness and, as my mother would say, a habit of surprising you with the things she says 

I don't know how to take that but my mom likes her so its probably fine

See yah