Adina's Friends 2

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Anything is possible when you have all the right people there to support you.
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Max was undoubtedly eligible for an Oscar with his acting skills.

He was so calm and collected that no one would have been able to guess what was really going on.

"When we both started going out, Adina hated me." I could hear some girls giggle as this story was starting out to be the textbook highschool romance. "I wasn't the best boyfriend. Heck, I wasn't even the best person. But a lot of things changed me."

My heart was pounding.

Oh dear God, let nothing go wrong.

"I became the guy that took her to places closest to my heart." He was talking about the night I got drunk. "I became the guy who had a drink with her best friend because I needed her trust me." This story, I didn't know. "And I became the guy who helped her friend's mom, so he could trust me." Again, I had no idea what he was talking about.
"But what I didn't know was that this 'friend' was just as connected to me as he was to Adi here." He let go of my hand and dug into his pocket. "It's funny how someone who I never thought I'd have anything to do with, suddenly becomes a very big part of my life."

He had helped Damien's mother? How? When?

My eyes scanned the crowd and landed on Jerry Walker. He looked slightly uncomfortable and he was fiddling with his tie.

Good.

My mother was right beside him with the same look on her face.

"So Ladies and Gentlemen, this is our big announcement." He pushed a button on the projector remote he was holding and images appeared on the wall above the TV.

The pictures I had sent to Damien were on the wall.

And then pictures of Damien as a baby with his mother and Max's father.

The collective gasps that came from the small crowd in my living room made me smile.

"Your eyes are working perfectly." I said. "That's Jerry Walker with a woman who's most definitely not Max's mom."

"What does this prove? Everyone makes mistakes." My mother said from wherever she was.

She had just called Damien a mistake. I knew I was boiling.

"He's a person and the brother I've wanted to have for years, don't you dare call him a mistake." Max countered with the same intensity I would have countered.

"And besides, Jerry Walker didn't just make a mistake." The picture on the screen changed to the pictures of the DNA test results and a newspaper article calling Antoinette a mentally unstable woman for claiming to have Jerry's baby. "He was a horrible person." Max's face was as lifeless as some stone as he said this. 

Before I could blink, people had their phones out, taking pictures.

"All of these are baseless accusations really, there's no proof. All these pictures could be fake, photoshopped." My mother was frantic now. I almost felt bad for her.

"What other proof do you think we need, Michelle?" One of the guests, who I could barely recognize, asked my mom.

"It's okay, I knew you'd need more proof." Max said after texting someone on his phone.

In the middle of all the commotion, Damien walked in.

No tux, no tie.
Just a pair of pants and a t-shirt.

In no time, he was standing next to Max and for the first time I saw that they had the same eye color. Their cheekbones were defined almost identically and it made sense that they were brothers.