Adina's Kindness

~~~~~~~~~~~~
A single act of kindness throws out roots in all directions, and the roots spring up and make new trees.
~~~~~~~~~~~~

One of the many flaws Michelle Powers had was that she underestimated everyone and overestimated herself.

Even though she was smart, she wasn't smart enough to know that anyone could be just as intelligent.

And I was going to use that.

I sat in a booth at Starlight with a huge cup of mocha in my hand, looking out the window at the falling snow.

First, I needed to get money for Damien's mom's chemotherapy.

I wasn't expecting it to be cheap and I didn't know the exact amount needed but I knew I had enough trust fund to feed an entire town.

It was not a bragging right, it was just fact. My father had done everything to make sure that I would never suffer should anything happen to him and my mom or their company. 

The problem, however, was that I couldn't access my money until I was legal.

The only person I knew could help me get it was my father and he was on his way to Connecticut that morning on a business trip.

I probably could have just called and talked to him and I actually was going to when Loren stopped me.

Three days after I had the little 'discussion' with my mom, Loren and I in my room about to figure out how to help Damien, help my father and save my love life.

She had opened her mouth to say something but then shut it immediately. She went in search of something in the drawers beside my bed and brought out a notepad and pen.

'I think your room is bugged.' The note had said.

My eyes widened and immediately started searching the room.

Loren held my hand, grabbed my phone and coat and before I could say anything, we were out of the house flagging down a taxi.

"I saw your mother go upstairs to your room when you were in your father's helping him pack." She whispered loudly the moment we got into the taxi.

"You can stop whispering, Loren. We're not in the house anymore." I rubbed her arm in a feeble attempt to calm her down.

"Oh, I'm sorry." She laughed. " I was just scared for a moment there." She took a deep breath and continued. "She looked very suspicious and so I followed her."

Then she brought out her phone from the pocket of her apron.

"Loren, you're still wearing your apron." I pointed out with a hint of laughter in my voice.

"Oh no." She laughed and I took the phone from her hand. "In my defense, these are really comfy." She said as untied the apron and folded it.

"Oh I believe you. It wasn't because you were fussing about my dad's journey and all he needed for it this morning." I teased.

"Well..." She looked flustered. It was weird seeing an adult blush. "Anyway, I followed your mom to your room and... and I saw this." She said as she took her phone from me, tapped and handed it to me.

My jaw dropped and my hands couldn't stop shaking.

In the video Loren was showing me, a woman who looked remarkably like my mum was going around placing tiny little gadgets under my bed, drawers, tables and looking over her shoulder while she was at it.

"Wow." I breathed. "Just... Wow."

"Whatever we're going to be planning, it'll have to be outside your house." She said as she took her phone from my hand replaced it with her hand.