Adina's Friends 1

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Don't make friends who are comfortable to be with. Make friends who will force you to lever yourself up.
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Call me crazy but sometimes it feels more accurate to laugh when told bad news than to cry.

Especially when all you had ever done before then was cry.

So one could imagine the surprise on my mother's face when I laughed out loud at what she so grandly entered into my room to announce.

Christmas was less than a week away.
Which meant Christmas pictures, a small Christmas party-my mother never got tired of throwing those-and apparently my engagement party.

Yes.

Mother Mine had actually already planned my engagement party and it was going to happen on Christmas Eve.

And this was saying a lot because she obsessed over her Christmas parties, so giving it up for her daughter's 'happiness' just meant that she stood to gain a lot from this marriage.

Like my father's company.

I had my suspicions at first and had to confirm them so earlier that day, I sneaked into her room when she was not at home.

After about ten minutes of carefully snooping around, I came across some sort of document. Looked like a contract.

I read the first paragraph feeling utterly confused because of all the business terms in it. I was going to just place it back in her wardrobe where she thought she had carefully hidden it when something caught my eye.

It was Max's father's name.

I, Jerry Eddison Walker, agree to give all of Safetech Inc. to Michelle Powers in the event of acquiring all the shares of the aforementioned company.

I was just numb.

The contract was signed by both my mom, Max's father and most probably a lawyer.
I immediately took a picture, carefully placed the contract back into the wardrobe and skedaddled.

I didn't take long for me to figure out what my mother was doing.

I had to marry Max for the companies to merge. After they merge, Jerry and Mother Dearest would manipulate the board members into selling their shares to them.

And then when they had the highest amount of shares, they'd vote to remove my father from the position of president of the company.

It was never about saving my father's company. It was about taking it from him.

This strongly confirmed my suspicions about the financial state of my father's company.

At that point, I just knew that Safetech's bankruptcy had to be fake.

"What's so funny?" My mom asked, looking actually confused.

Amusing.

"If you're so passionate about this wedding, why don't you marry Max instead?" I laughed and I reached for my phone on my table. "You can leave now, Mom. Party to celebrate my impending doom is on Christmas Eve. Got it."

I climbed into bed and connected my phone to the Bluetooth speakers in my room.

"I don't know what you're up to, Adina. But just know that I have all the people you care about in my palm." And she leaned closer. "Including your father."

I was used to my mom threatening me and mine but something about how she said what she had just said made me shake.

And she saw it.