Adina's Paradox

~~~~~~~~~~~~
True strength is knowing when an enemy becomes an ally.
~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Hey beautiful." My dad said as he walked into my room with a shopping bag.

Seeing him looking relaxed and happy dispelled every form of anger and feeling of betrayal I felt towards him.

Of course he handed me over to the Walkers without talking to me about it but trusting him all my life has taught me that he had a plausible reason for all he did.

Especially when it had to do with me.

"Hey, Dad." I smiled. "I'd love to say I'm happier to see you but I can't wait to see what you have in the shopping bag."

He put his hand over his chest and gasped with mock horror written all over his face.

"Well I thought you loved me for me but apparently..." He wiped a fake tear.

I was laughing. Laughing like all was well with the world.

"Come on,I want to see." I said between laughs.

I took the bag and looked inside to see a small box. A jewelry box to be precise.

"Dad." I gasped when I saw what was inside the box. It was a simple yet beautiful silver bracelet. "It's beautiful."

He took it from me and put it around my wrist. The same wrist that had my scars, but it was carefully hidden under layers of concealer.

"Thank you." I said and leaned in to kiss him on the cheek.

"I was shopping for your wedding and I saw it. It's beautiful simplicity reminded me of you." I loved my dad and every moment I spent with him but mentioning the wedding was ruining the mood. "You know you can talk to me about everything, right?" He continued. "You know, even about having a boyfriend."
He pushed me playfully with a happy smile on his face.

How did he know?

Was that why he...?

"That's why you thought I should get married?" I asked, as confused as ever.

"Actually, the Walkers came to me with the proposal. Initially I objected but then your mother told me that you and Max were, you know, together and that you kids love each other so much."

Oh no.

For almost all my life, I'd felt sad, angry, defeated, helpless and recently, happy. But hearing my dad say all he was saying confused my feelings.

I had no idea what to feel or what to think.

All that was dawning on me was that he did this for me, for my happiness. Not because the company was dying.

"I really want to make you happy, Darling." He said as he held my hand in his. It took all I had in me to not cry. "I just want you to know that I'll never be the father that sells his daughter for business, I'll never do anything that doesn't make you happy."

"I know, Dad." I replied, burying myself in his arms, forcing the tears away. If he saw me cry, he'd know something was wrong.

My phone rang immediately my dad left my room. It was Morgan.

"Hey." She sounded tired.

"Hey, are you okay?"

"Yeah I'm fine. I was bored so I called. I would have just showed up at your house but I can't leave my little sister all by herself." Morgan lived with her mother and little sister. That's all I knew about her family, she didn't say much and when I tried to ask, she'd wave it off like there was nothing to talk about.