Chapter Four: Miss Popular?

I ran a hand through my wavy red hair as I stared at my reflection on the mirror. I was staring at myself for about eight minutes already. I just can’t believe I usually wear these short skirts everyday at school.

            Earlier, I asked Summer what do I usually wear at school. She had grimaced then pulled out a really short skirt inside my closet and a really skimpy top to match. I put on the skirt and the top but it was really, really revealing so I decided to wear a cardigan.

            I also applied light make up on my face, knowing mine is very, very pale since I’m nervous for my first day at school. Technically it’s not my first day but still… This was going to be the first day I’m going to school as a seventeen-year-old, a nerd gone bad and an amnesiac. So basically, I thought of this as a “first day”.

            I grabbed my Hermès bag and shouldered it. I slowly walked down the stairs since I was wearing my three-inched Jimmy Choos heels. When I landed on the ground floor safely, I breathed a sigh of relief. Thank God I didn’t tripped or fell down the stairs.

            “You ready?” Mandy asked, grinning up at me, swinging her car keys. She suggested driving me to school since Summer practically ordered me not to anymore drive.

            I smiled nervously. “I… think so.”

            She laughed sympathetically and patted my back. “I know you feel bad because you’ve been a bitch and all that. But you know, I think God gave you an accident and amnesia to change your attitude.”

            I nodded firmly. “I think you’re right. And I also think I have to change my attitude.”

            “That’s the spirit,” she said, nodding approvingly. “Come on!”

            But as we opened the large doors of the mansion, a red Mercedes Benz suddenly parked on the driveway. I heard Mandy swore quietly beside me. I frowned questioningly. “Who’s that?”

            “That, Autumn,” she said, her voice seething, “are your dear friends.”

            My stomach went cold. Oh crap. It’s them. Claire and Kelly offered giving me a ride to school last night but I told them I’ll think about it – which means saying “no” kindly. But apparently, they don’t take a “no” for an answer.

            “Lovely,” I muttered sarcastically.

            The window of the Mercedes Benz rolled down, revealing Kelly’s overly beaming face. Her dark hair was on a ponytail and she was wearing dark red lipstick that really suits her. Her green eyes were sparkling with amusement. “Hey, Autumn! You didn’t respond to our call earlier so we thought you’d want a drive!”           

            Truthfully, I didn’t respond at their call because I was trying to avoid them. Obviously, my plan wasn’t working. So I just faked a smile at her. “That’s nice of you, really. But my cousin also offered me a drive and I don’t really want to—”

            “Ah come on, Mandy!” Kelly called loudly. “We missed Autumn! It’s been a week since we haven’t hung out. We really do miss our friend.”

            “Miss my ass,” Mandy muttered, discreetly rolling her eyes. Finally, she smiled nonchalantly and shoved me out of the house softly. “Sure. I have some important stuff to do anyway. See you later, Autumn.”

            With that, Mandy closed the door. I sighed, defeated. I slowly made my way to the Mercedes Benz and hopped in the backseat. On the driver’s seat was Kelly. She was wearing a pair of skinny jeans – designers, obviously – and a zebra printed sleeveless. My eyes landed down to her feet and winced. Ugh, killer stilettos.