Chapter Eleven: Xavier's Story

“I may be home late,” I said as I shrugged on my cardigan, walking down the stairs quickly.

Summer frowned disapprovingly. “You know what, I only take day off once in a blue moon so we could spend time with each other -- like sisters do. But what do you do? You go off because of a stupid English Lit test that you will have tomorrow.”

I smiled at her apologetically. “I know, I know, I'm a terrible person. But I have to. Xavier's waiting for me outside.”

She folded her arms across her chest. “Tell me again why Xavier's your tutor,” she said, raising an eyebrow.

“There's no one else that I know in the senior year besides him,” I explained, grabbing my bag from the couch and on the same time, spraying myself some Victoria's Secret perfume. I know I'm not going on a date or something but you still need to smell good when you're in a presence of a man.

My sister sighed. “So you're going to leave me with Mandy.”

I bit my lip. “Um... I hate to break it to you but Mandy left with a couple of her party friends.”

Summer pursed her lips. “So I'm alone.”

“Pretty much,” I said, giving her another apologetic smile.

“I seriously need a boyfriend,” she muttered then walked away.

“Well, I'll be going now!” I called after her but she ignored me. Sighing, I placed my bag on my shoulders and opened the wooden front door. On the front porch, Xavier was sitting on a white marble chair, waiting for me. I smiled at him. “Sorry to keep you waiting.”

He just gave me a simple smile. “It's okay. Let's go to the motorbike.”

I nodded. “Okay,” I replied and followed him to his motorbike. 

He hopped in first and I slowly followed. Knitting my eyebrows, I placed both of my hands around his waist. Was it only me who felt awkward with the whole thing? There I was, practically hugging the brother of my boyfriend -- which I am not supposed to.

“Hold on tightly,” Xavier whispered to me.

Okay, scratch that. Maybe I need to hug the brother of my boyfriend or else I'd topple off the motorbike. To Xavier, I nodded and tightened my hold on his waist. He started the engine and we took off.

***

“So... who wrote Jane Eyre?” he asked skeptically.

I frowned. “It was one of the Bronte sisters... wasn't it?”

He nodded. 

“Emily?”

Xavier sighed and shook his head. “No, Jane Eyre was written by Charlotte Bronte.”

“Damn.” I buried my face on my hands.

“Have you read Wuthering Heights? We're supposed to, it's included in the test.”

I timidly shook my head. “Not yet... Have you?”

Smirking, he said, “Yep.”

Xavier and I were the only ones in his house. Mr. and Mrs. Murphy were nowhere to be seen -- as always. Sandor was also not here because he's in a friend's house. So that left me and Xavier. 

Looking up at his dark blue eyes that was almost violet, I smiled. “You know what, Xavier? You're not like the typical bad boy. I mean, bad boys doesn't read books, least of all Wuthering Heights, a classic novel.”