Chapter Twenty-Two: Prom Night

I placed my hands around Xavier shoulders and looked up at him. He smiled tenderly and snaked his arms around my waist. We began waltzing slowly. I wasn’t paying attention to the other people who were dancing around us. All that matters is the person who’s standing before me, who’s holding me lovingly, and who I dearly love.

Yes. I love Xavier, and I’m not afraid to show that to the whole world. But for now, we have to keep our relationship as a secret because of my control freak boyfriend. But someday, I could show the whole world on how I love him.

He laughed softly and pressed his forehead to mine. “What are you doing to me, Autumn? I never felt this way before. Even the first time we were together… I never felt this way.”

I smiled and looked at him through my lashes. “Is it a bad thing? Should I stop this… this whatever I’m doing to you?”

“No,” he replied and shook his head. “Never. Whatever you’re doing, don’t stop. I don’t know, Autumn, but I think I’m in the verge of falling in love with you.”

My whole world stopped when he said that. My heart fluttered as I looked down on the ground so he wouldn’t see the blush that was blooming on my cheeks. Oh my God! He just said he’s in the verge of falling in love with me! Then I felt his hand on my chin, urging me to look at him again. I obediently did and my eyes met his serious blue ones.

“Do you feel the same?” he softly asked, not breaking eye contact.

“I think I do feel the same, Xavier,” I whispered. “I think I am falling in love with you. And I’m afraid.” Yes, the last part’s true. I am afraid. I am so afraid to fall in love. I’ve never been in love before and this is my first time. What if I screw up? What if I make a wrong turn? Would he leave me because of it?

“Don’t be afraid,” he told me. “I am always with you. Don’t be afraid, Autumn. I’m always here – forever if you want.”

I closed my eyes and rested my head on his chest. “I would like that,” I murmured.

We continued dancing and when the song ended, we still danced. There was no stopping Xavier and I. I don’t know how long we stayed there, dancing, but more than ten songs had passed. We danced as if there was no tomorrow. We danced as if we were free. The seconds turned into minutes. And the minutes turned into hours.

Suddenly, somebody called my name and I know this little piece of heaven I’m sharing with Xavier is over. I opened my eyes and saw Olive, just a few feet away from us. “Sandor! I saw him!” she whisper-yelled.

I nodded urgently and glanced at Xavier. His lips were set in a tight line and his hold on me tightened. “Xavier, your brother’s here. You must go.”

“I don’t want to go.”

My heart swelled with so much love for this guy. “I don’t want you to go, too. But there’s no other way. You have to or else he’d see me with you. Go.”

He sighed and hesitated for a moment. Then he leaned forwards and pressed his lips to mine. I closed my eyes, savoring the feel of his lips against mine. I kissed him back and when he pulled away, the both of us were breathless. Even though I was far away from the front door, I can literally hear it opening.

“Go,” I whispered and in a flash, Xavier was gone.

I watched him leave in a hurry. His white mask was still on his face; he was unrecognizable. Bowing down my head, I walked to our table and sat alone, waiting for Sandor.

He finally arrived and sat in front of me. He smiled and kissed my cheek. “Missed me?”

I just smiled at him and looked away.