Chapter Twenty-Four: Questions and Answers

Hahaha I can't help staring at the GIF at the right. --> Matt Lanter is... *drools* He's perfect to be Xavier isn't he? :) Anyway, read on!

_____

It was raining in the day of the funeral. On my left hand, I carried a big black umbrella and on my right hand, I comforted a crying Olive. She was crying as if there’s no tomorrow. My gaze went to Sandor. He couldn’t see me staring at him since I was wearing my huge Gucci shades.

He was watching the coffin being buried six feet underground. He stared at it without any remorse, without any guilt. How could he go here? How could he look at Lance’s mother right in the eye, without feeling anything? Sandor surely was a messed up person.

Beside him was Xavier. He was wearing a black button-down shirt with black slacks. Like most of the people here in the cemetery, he was also wearing shades. He slightly looked up to my direction and smiled. I smiled at him before looking away.

Not far from them were Claire and Kelly. Kelly was wearing shades, but I know she was crying because she kept sniffing in her handkerchief. Claire, however, was staring at the coffin without any expression – just like Sandor. She glanced at her watch, as if she couldn’t wait to get out of here.

Suddenly somebody played the song “Amazing Grace.” Some people started singing with the song, including Olive. I kept quiet, studying the people around me. Most of the people were students in my year. Lance’s friends from the Math club were with his mother.

My eyes almost bulged out from their sockets when I saw Sandor singing along with the other people. My jaw tightened. There were no words how I feel right now. How could he sing that song?

Finally, Lance was buried. I bowed my head and a tear fell down from my eye. Lance doesn’t deserve whatever Sandor did to him. He didn’t know about Xavier and I. Why the hell would Sandor question him?

People started walking away. I cleared my throat and turned to Olive, who was still crying. “Do you want to leave?” I asked quietly.

She shook her head. “I want to talk to Mrs. Jackson before we leave…”

I nodded and the both of us walked towards Lance’s mother. She was sitting on a chair with her husband, Mr. Jackson. She was wearing an elegant black dress. It’s no doubt that Lance’s family was rich.

“I’m really, really sorry about what happened to Lance, Mrs. Jackson,” Olive said as we approached them.

The couple looked up at us and then Mrs. Jackson smiled softly. She squeezed Olive’s hand. “Thank you, Olive. Don’t you know, the night before Prom… Lance couldn’t stop talking about you. He really likes you, Olive.”

“I also like him,” she sniffed. “After Prom he asked me if I could be his girlfriend. I immediately said yes. But… we never had the chance to… to…”

“I know,” Mrs. Jackson replied. Then she caught me staring and smiled at me. “And who might you be?”

“I’m Autumn, Olive’s friend,” I introduced myself. “I’m sorry about your son. Lance was a good person. He made Olive very happy.”

“He made a lot of people happy.”

I nodded in agreement. Olive and Mrs. Jackson talked a little more then said goodbye. Olive had stopped crying when we walked away. It was still raining and we have to look for a cab to leave.

“Hey! Autumn!” somebody called me.

Olive and I turned and saw Sandor and Xavier. They were both soaking wet and I immediately shared my huge umbrella. “Thanks,” Sandor said as he grinned up at me.