Chapter One: The Lost of Two Years

I was walking down the hall with Olive. It was already five-thirty in the afternoon and it’s almost dark. We were staying in the library, studying for the upcoming test in Biology the next day.

            I let out a yawn. “Crap, I’m exhausted.”

            Olive chuckled. “Same here. I think we should have studied at my place. We could have rested there.”

            “We would get distracted with your flat screen TV,” I said, rolling my eyes.

            She smirked. “Anyway, do you want a ride home? My driver’s coming.”

            “Nah, I can handle it myself,” I reassured her and adjusted my glasses on the bridge of my nose.

            Olive noticed. She gave me a look. “Why don’t you look for another pair of glasses? It’s obvious you’re not comfortable with that one.”

            “I can’t bother my parents,” I sighed. “They have problems of their own. And buying me another pair of glasses is another problem that they don’t need to have.”

            She shook her head at me. “Sometimes you really are selfless. Why don’t you be selfish from time to time?”

            I opened my mouth to reply but someone cut me off. Olive and I looked at each other for one second then turned around to the direction of the voice. Sure enough, a blonde and a raven-haired were making their way to us, their signature smirk on their faces.

            “What do you want, Claire?” I asked, gritting my teeth.

            She smiled sweetly. “Oh nothing much. I just want to ask what nerds like you are doing here in this time of hour.”

            “I bet they’re studying,” Kelly replied, smiling sweetly just like Claire.

            I glared at them both. “Why don’t you just mind your own business? Come on, Olive.”

            I grabbed Olive’s wrist and together, the two of us ran out of the hallway. I heard Claire and Kelly cackling with laughter but I ignored them. Why can’t they just let us be? Why do they have to judge us and insult us?

            We stopped running when we got out of the school grounds. We were breathing heavily then as if on cue, we laughed out loud. “That was funny,” Olive stated, grinning.

            I rolled my eyes. “I hate the two of them so much! Why can’t they just leave us alone? So what if we’re not pretty and tall as they are? So what if we’re nerds and they’re the cheerleaders?”

            Olive patted my shoulder sympathetically. “I hear you, sister.”

            My phone suddenly rang. I dug my hand inside my pocket and grabbed it. I pressed the button and then placed it on my ear. “Hello?”

            “Where are you?” Mom asked, her voice filled with worry. “School ended hours ago!”

            I chuckled. “Chill, Mom. I’m going home. I was just studying with Olive.”

            “You better get your butt here, Autumn,” she warned me, “or else you wouldn’t have dinner.”

            “Jeez, Mom, don’t be like that,” I scoffed. “Fine, fine, I’ll be there in twenty minutes. Bye.”