Prologue: Car Accident

“What do you mean you couldn’t come?”

            It took all my strength not to snap at Sandor and hung up. But I just took a deep breath and closed my eyes. “I’m not feeling well. That’s why I couldn’t go to James birthday tonight. Sorry, Sandor.”

            He inhaled sharply. “So you want me to go to a party without my girlfriend? Are you freaking kidding me, Autumn?”

            “I – I’m sorry.”

            “Fine,” he responded snippily. “Don’t.” He hung up.

            I let out a frustrated cry and threw my phone on my bed. Then I kicked my closet that was filled with designer clothes. When I finally calmed down, I sighed wearily and opened the window. I rested my arms on the windowpane and then my head on it. I sighed again.

            I should have broken up with him – right there and then. He’s just a freaking immature guy sometimes. I can’t believe he was the same guy I have fallen in love with two years ago.

            Then again, I was stupid, immature and ignorant two years ago.

            I heard my phone ringing so I walked back to my bed. I pressed the Answer button, knowing it’s going to be Sandor again. “I told you, I’m not coming,” I sighed.

            “Autumn?”

            Suddenly, my heart was tap-dancing. A smile was formed on my lips before I knew it. It was him. “Hi, Xavier. I – I thought it was Sandor.”

            Xavier chuckled. “Well, I’m not him. Thank God for that.”

            I grinned giddily and threw myself on my bed. It’s so nice to hear his voice again. It’s been a long time since we haven’t talked since Sandor was keeping me away from him. I wonder if he knew what we were hiding.

            “Are you free tonight?” he asked hopefully. “I’m alone here. Mom and Dad we’re out with their friends while Sandor just left to go to James birthday party.”

            I rolled my eyes. “Sandor asked me to go with him. But I refused because I’m not feeling well.”

            “You’re not feeling well?” Xavier asked in alarm.

            “No, no, it’s nothing serious.”

            “Autumn.”

            “Xavier,” I said, matching his tone.

            He sighed. “I don’t know why you’re so annoying.”

            I giggled. “Anyway, I can come over there. Summer and Mandy are going somewhere else, too.”

            “Really? But I thought you’re not feeling well.”

            I smiled sheepishly; this is the time to tell him something cheesy. “Just hearing the sound of your voice made it okay.”

            He laughed out loud. “Whatever, Autumn. I’ll be waiting for you,” he said huskily.

            “Okay. Bye,” I said, smiling for no reason.

            “Bye,” he responded and hung up.

            I squealed excitedly as I made a happy dance. I threw open my closet and snatched out a pair of jeans, a blank tank top and a pink sweatshirt. I quickly slipped them on. I grabbed my neon pink Converse and put them on. When I was done, I snatched a comb from my drawer and combed my awfully tangled mane of red hair.