Moon Fourteen

Moon Fourteen

I was barely able to focus on the road as I rode home that day. Jay Corbett was a very unusual person. It wasn’t what he said that really scared me though I hadn’t heard someone say it recently. It was the fact; he was positive that it was going to happen. I would have sensed doubt in his odour if he wasn’t sure.

Did I really want anything to do with him? He just sounded like a poor old kid who would go nowhere in life and end up on the bathroom floor; a bottle of opened pills in his hand. Maybe if he was more melodramatic a curtain cord would be wrapped around his neck; his limp body hanging from his bedroom. Maybe he would even write a note that wouldn’t make sense…

Hold on, what on earth am I going on about? The kid may see crazy stuff but would it screw with him that much? Why am I even considering this?!

I almost went onto the other side of the road if the on coming vehicle hadn’t honked his horn at me. Coming back to reality I leaned the other way forcing my Yamaha to travel back to the East side; the legal side of the road.

The sunset was pleasing, deep coral pink, lilac and peach orange outlined the clouded sky, like cream flowers in a warm field. Dark shapes in the far horizon outlined where my destination was, it seemed too familiar…

Luna…Her whole being was created in warmth I remembered her eyes, that dress she’d worn and had ripped. I never found out if she told Gwen about it. That day when we first… Well not that exactly to the sick minded people was amazing… But being a guy I don’t remember every detail. But I’ve never met a girl whose kiss could set my head swimming.

************************************

I was amazed as I arrived home, time had gone by fast. As the engine slowed I took off my helmet and stared at myself in the rear view mirror…

My face is red? Man that was unexpected. I quickly unzipped my jacket hoping it would cool me off. It gave some relief, but not enough to stop the faint scarlet patches on my cheeks!

“What you doing outside Cole?” Called a familiar voice, glancing towards the front door I shuddered as I saw Maxene, posed in the frame, skinny jeans and a tight black turtle neck her choice of clothing.

“What are you doing here?” I asked myself, glancing at myself and then cursing as I saw the colour hadn’t faded. She folded her arms across her obviously large chest.

“Your dad was getting worried about you,” she answered, “so I came over to help relieve him of his nerves.”

“Tony told you?” I asked stepping off and pressing the brake on. Her eyebrows were raised at me.

“So what if he did? We’re cousins whether you like it or not,” I growled under my breath, watching as she turned in the doorway to go back inside.

“By the way, we’re having pasta tonight. Hope you like spaghetti,” she strutted into the light leaving me alone in the twilight.

I pulled my gloves off as to follow; a breeze came about and whipped my nose. Flaring my nostrils I drew in a scent. My skin pricked…

What’s that smell doing here? Unable to resist the temptation I began to run towards the woods feeling my form slowly bend to the ground as my snout appeared and my growl deepen.

*******************

It was the worst scent in the world, the one creature that I despised more than myself….

RUBEN

Did he have a death sentence? If so then I was more than happy to fulfil it…

By my terms!

“You don’t need to stay in that form,” I heard a voice say. In the dim light he stood, brown jacket and cargo trousers a sinister smirk on his face. His face with the slightly bent nose hadn’t changed, “I’m unable to morph at the moment.”

He was bluffing, I was sure of it; though I still morphed back all the same. He gave a scoff, compared to him I was as buff as a soldier, he was possibly a gladiator or whoever those half naked men were that Luna learnt about.

“You haven’t changed since we last met,” he confided stepping closer to me. This was then I realized his head was shaved.

“Y-your hair,” I accidentally stammered at first, “why do you have it..?”

“Don’t you remember?” He asked stepping close to me bending it slightly, “last time we met I received a tree branch across the top,” he pointed to an area, “I had to get stitches because of you!” I finally noticed the faint jagged scar. I made no response to this.

“So, tell me Cole,” he began lifting his head again, “how does it feel to know that you’ve lost her? That you were unable to be there for her in her darkest moment,” my teeth were clenched as I silently grew claws.

“Ha, you call yourself a wolf? You couldn’t even protect your own…”

“SHUT UP!” I roared lunging at his throat. In surprise my hand was around his throat and he made no attempt to immediately remove it. I soon saw why.

He smirked at me, “you barely have the strength to kill me,” he answered as to my dismay he breathed normally, “you’ve grown weaker Cole,” his arm went to my clasping hand, “I would know,” he started pressing it hard with his thumb in my palm and the other fingers on the bridge, “otherwise I wouldn’t be able to do this.”

Clasping my thumb with two fingers he bent it back hard. I heard the crack as the bone broke. I clenched my teeth as the pain danced up my arm. He didn’t hesitate to bend my index finger left several degrees and my middle finger back the firmest. I grunted once as that crack was the loudest. I stared as he straightened my ring finger before snapping the bone at each joint, (which caused more pain than before!) He paused at my smallest finger, “ha, it would be typical for all fingers to be broken at once,” he said. I breathed out in relief.

“But I am a typical guy,” he added twisting it anticlockwise. I inhaled hard as I felt the twang of the bone being dislocated, trying not to show my agony.

“You have nothing to say to me?” He asked suddenly dropping my hand, letting it swing back to my side. I quickly lifted my arm to support my left hand with my right (the unbroken one).

“That was nothing compared to what I did to her,” he answered staring at me, “you should have glimpsed her slowly being mauled, piece by piece. Her porcelain skin stained with her crimson life,” he smiled as he appeared to reminisce.

“It was beautiful,” I felt my anger grow within me; the sadistic mongrel!

“If I find that you’ve so much tainted her,” I began snarling, “I’ll not hesitate to kill you!” His smile dropped.

“You think your threats can hurt me?” He growled slowly turning to glance somewhere else. He then turned back to me, eyes darker than usual. He then scoffed before saying in a low voice, “I’ve already touched her…”

I froze, staying silent until I said through clenched teeth.

“Y-you…Bast-…”

“This won’t be the last time you and I meet,” he began slowly starting to morph, cutting me off. “But it will be the last time that I’ll let you live.” He added as his face disappeared into dark wolf fur and a snout. He growled at me before turning on all four paws and bounding away.

“That,” I growled under my breath anger rising in me, “that mangy dog will PAY!”