Moon Nine

Moon Nine

“Ok, so you think she’s alive when chances are she’s dead, but you’re certain that this is true,” Tony began, “but if this is the case and you’re certain that this is so, then why have you called me?”

“Because I have nothing better to do,” I told him leaning against the couch. This was partially true since my homework was finished, all but a manufacturing project I had to work on. Wheels on a remote control car would not be gluing themselves on!

I imagined Tony rolling his eyes, “right and I have nothing better to do too! Listen Cole, I’m needed at work now, so if you don’t mind I have to help people with camping gear!”

“But I need your help!” I told him, “I need to…”

“Need to what Cole?” I paused, cheeks flushing slightly as I added.

“To hear her voice in my mind again,” I answered. An awkward silence until he whistled.

“Wow, I never thought I’d see the day that you, out of every werewolf I know would be committed to one.”

Why is that so hard to believe?” I asked annoyed.

“Well, you just… You never liked anyone. Not Maxine, Chantelle or even Martha, and they could have gotten along with you well,” he started. I’d rolled my eyes at every name; Martha was too much of a tomboy to be of interest. Chantelle was prone to cheat and Maxine, well I’m sure you know!

“They are all normal, backstabbing, boring, bit….”

Hey that’s my cousin you’re talking about!”

“Sorry Tony but it’s the truth; Maxine will do anything to get what she wants,” I told him, I heard him sigh.

“I suppose so, but she wasn’t always like that.”

“Since when was she not like that, Tony,” I asked.

“Ever since….” He cut off, “Never mind.”

“Come on Tony,” I begged, “you’re killing me here; ever since what?”

“I can’t Cole,” he began, “it’s none of my business.” It was my turn to sigh.

“Fine,” I answered, “I have to go.”

“Ok, see you Cole.”

“Yeah,” I answered before hanging up.

***********************************

As I sat on our kitchen bench, reading the paper, I couldn’t help but wonder when I’d see her face again. Her smiling face, soft lemon coloured hair, deep caramel eyes that reminded me of toffees that my mum used to make…

Mum… I thought, her face coming to my mind, I wonder how you are. Peering at the fridge I saw something which I hadn’t glanced at in ages.

A photo of the three of us when we went camping in Canada, by a road sign saying watch out for moose! I was about nine at the time, and it was when we had just passed the country’s border. I didn’t realise until then how much I had changed.