Moon Twenty One

Moon Twenty One

I felt dread as we drove up to Maxene’s house. The light was on as I imagined, for Maxene lived with her parents still. Bronson whistled the moment it came to our sight. They liked to live big and grand for it was painted a deep maroon with a wrap around balcony on the top floor of their two building manor.

It had been a while since I’d been there and as Bronson steered his rather plain Holden Barina to park by the empty space their Jaguar went, I realised how out of place we were.

Tony’s Aunt Fiona and Uncle Julius were rich thanks to their high class solicitor partnership that they had formed when Maxene was just three years old. It had flourished so much that their head quarters had a three floor building dedicated to certain areas. The top floor was for criminal law, second for family and the bottom for the lowest selling cases.

From a home run business to a top solicitor firm the Aschals’ had done well, in a wealth perspective. But with family matters…Well I didn’t think they’d done well in raising their daughter…

“Nice house,” Bronson commented as we got out of the car and closed the doors, “I can imagine they’d have many real estate agents at their door.”

“They are smart people,” I assured him, “they even have a security camera at their front door.”

“Is that true?” Bronson asked locking up and following me, “They know how to keep things protected.”

I swallowed as we came to the polished pine door. Bronson looked pretty confident as he tapped his knuckles hard on the wood. I heard someone say ‘coming.’

“So Cole, you haven’t told me what she’s like.”

“She’s about three inches shorter than me, except for when she wears high heels, and has large nostrils and an ego to….” The door squeaked open to reveal the vixen herself dressed in a slinky knight gown and a fluffy white robe, with her fiery hair in a messy side bun.

I had to turn away, for the dress was black but see-through and was low, very low.

“Hello?” She croaked unattractively, I immediately whiffed the wine.

“Hey Maxene,” I began turning to face her and then tilting Bronson’s chin up so he could look her in the eyes. “This is Bronson, Bronson this is Maxene.”

“Hey,” she said holding out a hand. To my utter shock he gracefully took the hand and kissed it.

“How art thee, fair maiden?” He asked raising his head.

“Oh please,” she said snatching it away, rolling her eyes as she did, “don’t give me that chivalrous crap, its freaking annoying.” I watched as Bronson swiftly regained his composure. It was clear that he’d never met a woman like Maxene but it didn’t seem to sway him.

“So why are you here?” She asked leaning against the door tying her robe up to hide whatever she had… (Not that I wanted to know).

“Well, the thing is, I know that with what happened you must hate my guts but I can…”

“HATE YOU?” She raised her eyebrows at me in detest, “I definitely hate you! In fact I dislike you Cole Kenward! I offer myself as a main course in replacement of your rather low sustenance meal which was that girl and you turn me away in a flash.” I felt a familiar word rise to my lips but Bronson took the lead.

“And he is sorry for breaking your heart,” he suddenly said, turning to me, “aren’t you?” I nodded, through gritted teeth, “but we came here today to give our request.”