Moon Five

Moon Five

I felt my body stiffen; I couldn’t afford to stand around and do nothing. Without any more hesitation I ran into the woods, leaving Tony confused before I too heard his pace behind me. Slowly bending down to the ground I let my curse consume me, twist my skeleton, root dark hair and my face lengthen into a snout.

Bushes whipped my face, but I was not hazed for my nose twitched dangerously, for the scent confirmed my fear. Before Tony had a chance to say anything I quickly told him what was going on.

Luna… She’s in danger!

What makes you say that? Tony asked his use of telepathy much better than mine.

Maybe I should explain this ‘mind reading’ business. Each of us (meaning werewolves) was gifted with special abilities making one different than the other. Tony could communicate with thoughts more effectively for he could think something miles away and be able to tell me.

His dead brother Ted had a strong sense of morality, which is the reason behind why he was killed….I don’t see how that was much of a gift to him though.

I had the strongest nose or the greatest sense of smell. Even if the person was nowhere in sight I could still smell the slightest trace of them left behind from being in the place.

I dashed through trees, my body slowly morphing as I hit branches; got scratched from shrubs nearby.

It was hard to ignore the gut instinct that something was wrong, the warning bells were ringing too loudly for me to even think clearly. My nose whiffed the musky scent in the air only belonged to someone I knew too well.

I whiffed a stronger stench with the slight trace of alcohol, that of a roughly groomed man. I halted in my tracks. It wasn’t pure alcohol; it had traces of other chemicals, some which I recognised from being so bored in a mall and peering at the back of boxes with ingredients listed there.

Reuben’s cologne I realised panting hard, trying to catch my breath but failing. Without thinking I quickly sped off with Tony’s latest message in my head.

Cole what are you doing? He demanded. I ignored it and kept running, increasing my pace.

I came to a hill where the scent was much stronger than before. I paused, lifted my snout to the air, before quickly but carefully scramble down the landscape, sharp rocks cutting into the pads of my paws.

Another scream resounded throughout the land. I raised my head to the sky.

“Luna!”

She can’t hear you, I heard answer back, a malicious voice, and one which I wanted to get out of my head.

Keep away from her! I answered back growling in the back of my throat as I landed at the bottom of the hill.

A strong odour hit the air; I could not imagine it to be worse… Man I hated the stench, especially when it was that of a human.

Blood

No I roared in my mind, retracting my claws completely, and going full pelt into the trees. I had fully transformed and was now a black mass of muscle of fur called a werewolf.

**************************

Each step was now tiresome, but I ignored the slow cramp in my legs; if I were to stop right now then….

She’d be dead!

My heart raced with every anticipating moment, the scent of her blood was drawing stronger by the moment with every step though I hope dearly that it was not her blood I whiffed.