Competitive Camping

"I can't believe we have to spend a whole weekend here!" I cried out in misery as my family and I stepped out of our car.

"Ohh hush. It'll be fun!" my dad said, patting me on the back.

"Fun? How are we supposed to have fun when we're struggling for survival in the middle of nowhere?!" I whined.

"Honey, it's a local campsite half an hour outside of London," my mum said.

"With no phone service!" I whined.

"Who needs phones when you have your family?" my dad chimed, happily.

"And me," I heard Luke say, deviously, into my ear. I angrily pinched him in the gut in response, causing him to shrill in pain.

"C'mon, guys! Let's start off our adventure by hiking to our reserved camping area!" Mrs Hemmings chimed.

"Sounds great," Mr Hemmings smiled.

"Ooh, I just thought of something. What if we made it a race?" my mum pitched.

"You mean who can make it to the lake first?" Mrs Hemmings asked.

"Exactly. My family against yours. It'll be a blast!" Mum put her hands on her hips.

"Okay! That sounds fun! And the losing team has to do a punishment. Like ... eat a bug," Mr Hemmings rubbed his hands together menacingly.

"... Or they could set up the tents!" Mrs Hemmings piped.

"That works too," Mr Hemmings smiled at his wife, "So it's a plan! The Hemmings family vs the Wright family,"

"Actually ... How about we split into three groups? That way Luke and Naomi can be together," my mum suggested.

"YEAH! That'll have the children bond!" Mrs Hemmings pumped her fist in the air.

"YEAH! Because we were definitely going to lose with the terribly unskilled athlete that is Naomi ..." my mum muttered to my dad.

"Hey! I can hear you!" I said.

"Well sorry, honey but we all know it's true," she smiled happily. I can't believe she's saying that! Well it's true ... but I can't believe she's saying that!

"Luke!" I abruptly turned around to face him, "We have to win! No matter what, okay?"

"Yeah yeah whatev -"

"NO! WE HAVE TO WIN! NO MATTER WHAT!" I looked at him, sternly.

"Okay, okay!" Luke put his arms in the air defensively, "We'll win for sure,"

"YOU GUYS ARE GOING DOWN!" I shouted, enthusiastically, pointing at the adults.

"Luke ... Wait ... wait for ... me ... Luke ...!" I gasped for air, dragging myself up the elevation in the woods, trying to catch up to my teammate.

"Weren't you just pumped up and motivated five minutes ago?" Luke stopped walking and turned around to face me.

"Yeah but ... that ... that was five minutes ago ..." I panted, leaning my hands on my knees.

"What are we going to do with you?" Luke rolled his eyes.

"I ... I'm ... sorry ..." I started breathing heavier, "I'm trying ... really ... hard ..."

I stayed like that, continuing to try to regain my energy when I felt like Luke was staring at me. I looked up and proved myself correct. His eyes were locked on me with an unreadable expression. "What?" I asked, standing straight up.

"Do you want me to carry you?" he asked, quietly. I looked at him in shock, waiting for the witty punchline or burst of laughter but he just stood there. It almost kind of seemed like he was actually being ... serious.