The Key to the Perfect Moment

My Next-door Idiot

The Key to the Perfect Moment

Naomi's POV

After cancelling our plans over and over again, I was finally able to invite Louis out to talk but he hasn't mentioned anything serious yet. Therefore we've spent the whole day just goofing around the streets and having fun. We went to a casual café for dinner and sat at a table near the window and I stared at the sky getting darker.

I was feeling a bit impatient. It was weeks ago when he said he needed to tell me something and now when I finally get a full day with him, he's not saying a word.

"Louis, uh, are you going to tell me what you needed to say?" I queried.

"Oh," Louis glanced at me over the menu and quickly looked back at it, "It's not really something I can just tell you."

I bit my cheek from frustration. I feel like I should be heading home soon with it being Liam's last day in London and all. "Okay, well uh ... it's kind of weird for me to say on the spot," Louis began, putting the menu down on the table. He kept his gaze on it, fidgeting with the edges. "But uhm, I'm really glad we became closer this year."

"I'm glad too," I twittered, giving him a sincere smile.

"But that's not what I wanted to tell you," Louis met my eyes but then quickly went back to his menu, "Naomi, I li ... I have, uh, I ha -"

At that very moment my phone rang, interrupting Louis' stuttering.

"Sorry, I'll reject it," I muttered, taking the phone from my pocket.

"No it's fine, answer it," Louis swallowed, leaning back in his seat.

"Thanks, it'll only take a second," I told him, noticing that it was Mrs Hemmings who was calling.

"Hello? Naomi?" I heard through the other line.

"Yes, Mrs Hemmings?" I said.

"Where are you? Liam said he wants to help you get ready for tonight!" Mrs Hemmings said. I took in a large breath of air, feeling like something awful but awfully expected coming my way.

"What's going on tonight?" I asked through the line, causing Louis to look at me with slightly widened eyes.

"It's the Paynes' last day before they drive back to Wolverhampton so we're going out for dinner! I thought you knew," she said.

I sighed because deep down I did know this was going to happen.

"Do you need me now?"

Louis stood up from his seat and Mrs Hemmings said a few words about making sure I looked extra nice for the dinner before we hung up.

I put my phone back in my pocket as I stood up. "Hey, I'm sorry but I'm going to have to leave early. But since it's something hard for you to say, we can just meet up la -"

"I like you, Naomi," he confessed. I completely froze trying to step out from the table. My head slowly turned to him and he looked completely serious.

"Uh, I'm sorry, did you just say ..." my voice trailed off from sheer disbelief. No, I must have misheard him. Why ... Why would Louis like me? I've always thought he only looked at me as a little sister.

"I have feelings for you and I was wondering if you could return them," he said confidently, pretty much knocking me a thousand miles off my feet.

"I ..." like you too, Louis! Come on, Naomi, say it! You've been waiting for this day for almost two years, why is it so hard? "I ... uh ..." I can't do it. The rest of the utterance just won't come out.