Chapter 14 - Set Up

JJ had asked to stay at your house the night you found the gold. You were hesitant, giving the questions surrounding your relationship, but couldn't bare the thought of him having to either go home, or slum it in the Chateau by himself.

You walked through the front door, and nearly made a clear escape up to your room before David's voice echoed through the hallway.

"Y/N, is that you?"

"Shit," you cursed, knowing that you were not going able to escape this. You hid your bloody hands behind your back as the two of you stepped into the kitchen as nonchalantly as possible, trying to not bring attention to the fact both of you were very dirty.

"Hey Mum, hey David," you said, rocking back and forth on your feet, eager to get upstairs.

"Hi darlings," your mother greeted you, fulling lifting her head up. She cocked a singular eyebrow, tilting her head to the side as she surveyed the both of you. "Uh, why are you both so dirty?"

You and JJ shot each other a panicked look.

"Uhhh..." he started, but an idea sprung to your mind.

"We went for a walk!" You mother's eyebrows pinched together.

"You went for a walk?"

"Yep!"

"That still doesn't explain why you're so dirty."

"We fell over?"

"You fell over?" your mother repeated, leaning forward on her forearms, clasping her hands together throwing you and JJ a coy look.

"You know how clumsy Y/N can be, and she's just a bad influence on me," JJ laughed.

You scoffed, hitting his chest with the back of your hand without even thinking.

"Jesus, what happened to your hand?" David asked assessing your bloodied hand. You scrunched up your face as you held your hand frozen against JJ's chest. He tutted, shaking his head, looking at you out of the corner of his eye.

You unscrewed your face, casting them an unsure look,

"Fishing accident?"

"I'm sure it was," your mother joked, "go get cleaned up you two."

You she pointed between the two of you, staring accusingly. You and JJ slinked away. Once you got upstairs, he made his way into your bathroom. He slapped the counter twice like you had many times before.

"My turn to fix you up," he said. You laughed softly, climbing up onto the countertop. He grabbed a cloth, slowly dabbing at your scabby hands. You winced slightly, but the majority of the pain was gone. "You should probably wear some bandages."

You nodded, pointing towards you drawers.

"There's some in there." He grabbed them out slowly wrapping it around your hands. "JJ" you said softly. He hummed letting you know he was listening, "I want you to know that you're enough. To me."

His hands froze as he kept his head down. He sighed, looking up to meet your eyes. Seeing the nervousness in them made him sigh, "I know. I just... You have so much going for you; I don't want to bring you down to my level."

"J, you could never drag me down. There's no reason you're beneath me. I want to be there for you, through everything. Stop thinking of it as you dragging me down, what about moving forward together? And so, what if I'm a Kook? It's not even my money anyway. I'm a Pogue at heart and you know it."

"What about no Pogue-on-Pogue-macking?" he suggested, but it was an empty excuse as he leant forward. He was dangerously close to you.

"I'm willing to break that rule, if you are?"