Chapter 3 - Kegger

"Okay. So, um... we didn't see anything," Pope said clearly stressed. "We need to have total and complete amnesia."

"Actually, Pope's right for once," JJ piped up. You shot him a confused look. He shrugged his shoulders as if to say 'and what about it, "See, I agree with you sometimes. Deny, deny, deny," JJ continued to yabber on.

"Guys, we can't keep that money," Kie said.

"Okay. Not all of us can afford unlimited data plans, Kiara," JJ shot back at her.

"We really should give it to Lana Grubbs. Technically it was her husbands." You spoke, raising your hands defensively as JJ shot a glare at you.

"See," Kie said gesturing towards you, "Otherwise, it's bad karma."

"Bad karma to be implicated in a felony, too," Pope spoke directly and with conviction. He kept his head down.

"Pope..." you started but he cut you off.

"We gotta go dark." He said, lifting his gaze to look around at all of you.

"If that means we get to keep the money, then I agree," JJ settled. You went to open your mouth to say something, but John B's voice cut you off.

"I don't agree," he said to JJ. He moved to the centre of the porch and began explaining as if he was giving a Ted Talk,

"Just think about it. This is Scooter Grubbs we're talking about. Same dude that's buying individual cigarettes at the Porthole. Shit, one time I saw this dude begging for change in the Save-A-Lot parking lot because he needed gas. We're talking about a dirtbag marina rat who's never had more than 40 bucks in his pocket, and all of a sudden, he's got a Grady-White? Just sayin'."

"It is a little odd," you said in agreeance, leaning back on your chair and nodding up at John B. He nodded back as if to say, 'thank you' and then turned to the rest of the group who still didn't look quite as convinced.

"I don't know..." Pope trailed off. Looking around at you all. He stood and grabbed a fishing rod from the side of the doorway and made his way out to the pontoon. JJ grabbed the other and followed. The five of you made your way out to the water, perching yourselves along the wooden structure. The boys launched their baits into the water as John B started up again.

"All right, so think about it, Pope: How does a marina rat get a Grady-White?" he asked. Pope didn't even look up from his line as he deadpanned,

"Prostitution"

John B shook his head in disbelief, "Square groupers, bro. Okay, flying under the radar, no aerial surveillance. They don't do that stuff during a hurricane. What does that mean?" He looked around at the rest of you. You and Kie just shrugged as John B sighed, "JJ?"

"They were straight smugglin'." He answered

"Smuggling, really?" you asked.

"Yup," John B asserted, "And I guarantee there's a serious amount of contraband."

"Hell, yeah," JJ hooted. His line gave a sharp tug and he struggled to keep control as he reeled in it. "Fish on!"

The group decided that it would be a good idea to throw a kegger in order to "lay low". Somehow this always seemed to happen, but regardless you helped Kie carry the red solo cups onto the beach and placed them next to the keg. You felt an arm rest again your shoulder and when you turned your head your eyes met JJ's

"Hey hey," you said to him, moving your arm to wrap it around his waist, "who will be your claim tonight? Pogue or touron?"

JJ was notorious for accumulating at least one hook-up from each of the Boneyard parties. You were able to hold your own every now and then managing to find a cute boy to occupy you for the night, but it wasn't quite your thing as it was JJ's.