Chapter 12- GRL PWR

You made your way downstairs, a confused look on your face and a sinking feeling in your stomach. You had woken up and JJ wasn't next to you. Usually when he stayed over, he would wake you up and beg you to make him breakfast. But as you walked into the kitchen seeing only your mother standing by the fridge, the sickening feeling in your stomach grew.

"Morning, darling. How did the end of last night go?" she gave you a coy look. That's right: you had totally abandoned midsummers before everything that happened in your room.

"It was alright," you stated, not much enthusiasm left to give.

"How was JJ?" your mum asked.

"He's okay," you answered shortly again.

"Always is, see nothing to worry about." She smiled at you turning back to whatever she was doing.

You sighed. By the way she was talking you could tell that she hadn't seen JJ, which mean he had left very early. Your phone dinged in your back pocket

Kie: JB back in the world of the living. Meet at the wreck in an hour.

You could tell by her tone she was still pissed about the Sarah thing. You bid your mother goodbye and went upstairs to get ready for the day... and to face JJ.

As you pulled into the driveway of The Wreck, JJ walked down the street. The two of you met just before the door. An awkward silence hung in the air.

"Hi," you said cautiously.

"Hey," he said back, rocking back and forth on his toes.

"Where'd you go last night?"

"Oh, I had to – uh, get some things from home."

"Oh okay," you answered, still not sure why this meant he had to leave so early, "what it okay—"

"Yeah, it was fine, my dad wasn't there so..." he ran a nervous hand through his hair. His behaviour was very peculiar. But you knew when something was bothering JJ, and you hesitated as you pushed it.

"Are we... good?"

He snapped his head up to look at you. He could see the hurt in your eyes, and it made him feel sick to his stomach.

"Yeah, yeah, we're good. I just need some time to, uh, work things out... in my own head?"

It came out more of a question, but you accepted the answer, wanting nothing more than to be able to move forward passed your kiss. You thought that JJ had liked you too, but from the way he was acting you weren't quite as sure anymore. But it wasn't something you wanted to risk your friendship over until you were.

He pulled you into a hug, a small 'come here," escaping hi slips as he tugged you into his arms. You swore this hug felt different from the others, that as his arms slid around you, he was holding on like he never wanted to let you go. But reality struck when he held his pinkie finger in front of Your face as he let go.

"Still my best friend?"

You sighed, grasping your finger around his.

"Still your best friend."

Although deflated, you entered The Wreck, seeing Pope and John B at one of the tables. Kie was walking around putting water in each of your cups.

He and Kie were arguing about him living with Cameron's. You, Pope and JJ sat silently watching them bicker, to scared of the tornado of rage that was Kiara.

JJ and Pope started teasing John B about his new "kook" lifestyle, causing you to sink deeper into your seat- first JJ this morning, and now this?

You eventually discovered that the gold was meant to be on a property in Tannyhill, after visiting Battery Jasper for some clarity, since the map was so different.