Chapter 5 - The Rooster

The five of you sat on John B's front porch. You had gathered there that morning after the discovery of his father's compass, which John B and JJ had taken to Lana Grubbs for investagtion

"Her husband just die guys, give her at least a moment," you had protested by the boys didn't listen as they go in John B's van and driven off.

They had now returned, and Pope and Kie had arrived, all somewhat engrossed in JJ's dramatic retelling of what was had happened

"And we were right outside like this, and all we hear is just, "Bam! Bam! Bam!" Knocking paint off the wall, G! From the inside! All right? And I'm just looking at him, like..." JJ stopped mid sentence and he moved forward shaking his hair over the top off you,

"Wait, first off, look at this shit," he ran his hands through his hair, white specks falling off on to your lap.

"That's dandruff, disgusting," Kie said, mouth downturned in a look of repulsion.

"Ugh, JJ," you scoffed, wiping your thighs as he stood back up looking around at all of you.

"That's paint," he said, a look of dramatic seriousness on his face, "At that point, I was just, like... I'm waiting for death," he finished.

"Wow, you're not dramatic at all, JJ," you said to him sarcastically. He shot you a look as if to say 'it's all true.'

"Oh, okay, so you saw the guys that shot at us, right?" Pope asked him, to which he nodded, "Did you get a good description of them?"

"Yeah, literally anything," you added.

"Anything we can bring to a police report?" Pope asked.

"Burly," JJ said curtly, turning back around to the group.

"Burly, that's all you got?" you asked him.

"Yeah, you know like..."

"That's not very helpful," Kie cut him off.

"Okay, well, no, like the type of guy at my dad's garage," he explained, "I mean, you guys know he made cargo hides for drug smugglers.

You and Kie spoke at the same time,

"Yeah. Yes. No, we know.

"We are, in fact, aware of this, JJ."

He looked between the two of you before continuing. He leant back against the wall as he spoke, taking a melodramatic swig of his vape, "I can tell you with full confidence, these boys, these killers," he exhaled, smoke emitting from his mouth, "they're square groupers." He finished.

"They're square groupers," Pope started, a very unimpressed look across his face, "like narco square grouper? Like Pablo Escobar square grouper?"

"Yeah, man." JJ confirmed. You shook your head at the boy as you slumped further into your seat.

"You guys, not everything is a kingpin movie," Kie deadpanned.

"What does this square grouper look like, specifically?" Pope asked again, still not convinced.

"You were't there," JJ defended

"You don't know what to look for!" Pope fired back.

"Dude!" JJ exclaimed, "I wasn't taking little mental Polaroids the entire time. Man, I was under duress, okay?"

A puff of air left your nose as a long air laugh left the back of your throat. This boy, you swore to god...

JJ a playful glared at you before turning back to Pope, "But I can tell you... I can tell you by the way that Ms. Lana was screaming... that these guys are serious, serious hombres, man." You caught John B looking down at the compass. "It's a heavy vibe right now, okay? I'm not liking this very much."